Gonna Go Look at a 066. Help sort the wheat from the chaff?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
well dirty is sexy..........

i went ape.. 461/261

my saw box should be quite complete for the near future.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
well i'm going to put a misfits skull on the 461, that goes without saying.
maybe a blackflag on the 201t.
it's up in the air for the 261.

the misfits skull is going on
believe that.

I recommend you ask forgiveness of the PNW gods and order up a Stihl 460 or 660, my friend. :D Just sayin'...though you might want to twist their tails a smidge for best performance, just like with these Huskys.

Well, as far as PNW gods go, the only one whose forgiveness I'm all that worried about is your own. Gerry doesn't care... he gets his for free.

No, Mr. Chamberlin, you see, I already have a 660 and I love it. Absolute work-horse pig in stock form. Wouldn't even dream of porting it until it needs a lot of other work. Incredible saw. I think that I got one of the very last batches released before the stupid 661. I just want another big saw so that if one goes down I don't have to use some disgusting shop pig while I'm fixing it. I like working on Husqv. better. They just seem easier to get to... oh, I know what you'll say... "You're just better at working on Husqvarnas, because you get so much more practice." :lol:

Beat me to it, bro...:D.

If your 660 in stock form is giving you what you want...ok, I guess. But trust me, Jed... a stock 066 will run circles around a stock 660. If you want a saw worth waxing happy over, you need to open that 660's muffler at the very least. Get rid of the adjuster limits tabs and run that little puppy right.

Not sure I'm knowing the truth??? Ask NiceGuyDave, ask Gasoline Gary, ask old guy Al. Who knows...I might be mistaken ;).

Man, already on it B. Uhhh, lets see.... about the muffler: so do I just hog-out the existing port a bit more or what? I wouldn't open the exhaust port on the cylinder more would I? So when I rip-out the little plastic tabs on the carb adjust screws, uhhh... now what... a touch leaner on the high speed or what?

I think there are at least a couple of very good threads here on this, Jed. But to simplify...leave the exhaust port alone unless you want to get all wiggy on it. Just open the muffler's final existing opening something like 15%. Then you need to RICHEN both current high and low jet settings some. Not much, at 15% more exhaust area, but a little...might be 1/4 turn, but likely not much more. Adjust idle to mesh with these.

Might look for the dual exhaust port muffler from the 066 as an upgrade to the 660...I hear they are a match, but don't know of personal experience. That's a good "stock" way to go, if it actually does fit. I'm sure the better than me saw geeks here could offer advice re this point, as well as to my other advice :).

They must be doing a different kind of cutting in Sweden...
Nobody gets to cut every day here..
2000 hours of actual run time on a saw would be tough to accomplish.

It is very different here I guess. We need to work every day. A full time logger get over 2000hrs/year

They must be doing a different kind of cutting in Sweden...
Nobody gets to cut every day here..
2000 hours of actual run time on a saw would be tough to accomplish.

Back in my pulp cutting days, we'd go over 2000 hrs/year easily.
Now with the harvesters those days are gone, for which I'm thankfull.

It will take me a lifetime to put 2000 hrs. on my personal saws. Aren't husky's supposed to be emission compliant for 3000 hrs? Maybe it was 300. . .

Open up your stock 660 and let the exhaust out. Turn it up a whisker. It will be a better saw. Stock 660's are nice, if you don't have a comparison. They wont cut like a 394/395 or an 066. Opened up and allowed to eat a little better, they will run with the previously mentioned saws. I don't like stock 660's. My last 066 that I had was a muscular beast.

Fun, fun. Always lights up my day to fire up my sweet old 064...and man can it make quick work of 40 inch firewood rounds.

Fun, fun. Always lights up my day to fire up my sweet old 064...and man can it make quick work of 40 inch firewood rounds.
This is my very first 064 I bought in early 1986 when they where first introduced . The saw was a real champ, 85cc and these first 064's at 14.1 lbs are lighter then the 046/460's.
It didn't take long for Stihl to fatten them up and eventually get them up to around 16 lbs.

Look close and you can see the 084 carb I put on it, along with race porting I did to it in 1987. I n 1988 this saw came within 1.25 seconds tying 7 time world lumberjack champion Ron Hartill in the 100cc stock appearing bucking contest at Sayward ,B.C. Ron was running a modified 100cc Poulan Pioneer Pro 655, circle crank included.
Still runs like a champ 26 years later but just enjoys life as a shelf queen.

Bottom pic is my 2 066's also shelf queens.

Attachments

• SDC12022.jpg
    SDC12022.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 064 003.jpg
    064 003.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 50
Needs a full wrap...:P

Beautiful saw, Willard, in lovely condition, too. Kudos. Do you know the serial number span for those earlier, lighter models, by any chance...or where I can run the year of production serial number spans down? I'm not sure when mine was produced, and would like to know, for humor.

Needs a full wrap...:P

Beautiful saw, Willard, in lovely condition, too. Kudos. Do you know the serial number span for those earlier, lighter models, by any chance...or where I can run the year of production serial number spans down? I'm not sure when mine was produced, and would like to know, for humor.
Burnham I'll go look at it and get it's serial number, I got a few other newer 064 crankcases in storage maybe I can get their #s too. I know by 1987 they gained close to a lb by then.

There must be some website that has that info...maybe even Stihl's. I need to look around.

Love to see your serial and those others, for grins and giggles. I'll look mine up too, we can share :).

There must be some website that has that info...maybe even Stihl's. I need to look around.

Love to see your serial and those others, for grins and giggles. I'll look mine up too, we can share :).
Almost didn't find the 064 in the storage shed, the kids were playing with every flashlight I own............... but the smart phone had enough light.:D
Serial #116468370. I'll dig out the 064 spare crankcases later, my wife and I are leaving at 6 am to go house hunting will be back thurs night.

Back