How'd it go today?

Oh, I thought you were logging, guess not if you got out at 4 or 6 am

First day off for the season today. I'll get called in for a day or two yet to purge water lines and drop a net, other than that am finished for the year, except dropping a few dead ash with Nic (timbertramp) in 10 or so days for someone else to firewood and clean up.

New schedule to get used to getting things done around here, more dog time (and a class or two), more music time...I'm looking forward to Winter.

Got home from the big town to the west to find a 2.5 foot garter snake in the bathroom.

Wife lost her shit......screaming "get out of my way!" Poor naked Richard boy was left in the bathroom to find his own way out. He did, of course...still naked.

I guess it takes more than 11 years for a Kiwi to get over her fear of snakes.

:lol:

Reminds me of going to a friends to check out his roof. Took a ceiling panel off and as I was handing it to him he's just staring and making a funny little girl type noise.

I look up and a Blue Racer is looking at me about 4' away from my face. I just quick grabbed him and threw him on the ground and stomped him before I thought about it. Jerry was still making his little noise and shaking after it was dead. yep, he had the fear...

Just got home from a 65 mile round trip lesson, and 4 hours on a Saturday.....

I put two 3/8ths cables in a big American Elm by myself today....to finish a job that's been hanging for two weeks. Didn't check my cable equip last visit when we trimmed it.....coulda had it done the same day....life lesson....Check your Shit before you go.

Those dead end wedge grips are pretty rad. Loving them.

Some dummy (me) turned over the grinder, Rayco SuperJr. . First time tipping anything. My biggest potential screw up.

Climbed up onto the stump. I tried to stop it somewhat, but got clear. Not worth a strain or worse. I hope that damage is limited to a fuel pump, and spilled hydraulic fluid and gas, and a lot of wasted efforts. Thankfully I had the mini onsite still. Otherwise I would have been trying to collect gallons of gas and hydraulic fluid draining out. Mini was crucial to quickly uprighting it.

We'll see when the new fuel pump comes on Tuesday. $20, and needed to be replaced anyway.

I probably didn't need a beer and Manhattan last night, and coffee shortage today.

I flopped over my super junior at least a dozen times. The three wheeled one.

Every time I just let the oil go down from the top of the engine for ten minutes or so, refilled a bit of hydraulic, if needed, fired her up and continued.

It did barrel roll down a slope once breaking the air filter assembly and levers, but otherwise it was fine.

The most worrying was when it was next to a bonfire and I had a temporary fuel cap on it.

You go hard, Mick!!

I flopped mine once, no damage, but they aren't easy to upright without another machine, thats for sure!

One of my guys flopped my big grinder once, shouldn't have happened but he was new. $1100 fix :cry: alternator on that Deutz is $700 by itself!

Got home from the big town to the west to find a 2.5 foot garter snake in the bathroom.

Wife lost her shit......screaming "get out of my way!" Poor naked Richard boy was left in the bathroom to find his own way out. He did, of course...still naked.

I guess it takes more than 11 years for a Kiwi to get over her fear of snakes.

We had a 3 foot milk snake in the living room a month ago. The cat thought about putting up a fight but rethought it. I would have grabbed it by the head if it gave me a chance. It kept heading under things and I hesitated to grab it by the tail. Something about those stripes make it look dangerous. I booted it towards and finally out the door. Never saw it again. I don't know if it could spin around and bite if I grabbed it by the tail. Didn't want to find out.

Just dropped off the rental mini Ex from yesterdays fun. Was time to dig a few ditches this year.
When I had the driveway cut when we first built, I wanted a culvert placed in a certain spot and the equipment op talked me out of it. I should have held my ground and had him grade the drive the way I envisioned. Slow spot on the drive way builds up silt and then you have a drive way of silt and mud. Then a new stream helping cut the driveway.
Not saying this guy did bad, dang thing has held up real well over the years and after 10, it was ready for some more slate and grading. I have just been behind on the progress.
So I recut the drainage edge to give it more fall and slope the dive a little faster/deeper to it. Next will be slate and grade. Friggen raining like crazy though.
Dug a cut trenches for some conduit and plumbing as well to the cow shed and the new chicken coop. Mini will back fill it fine.
Nice to get some hours in the seat though. Not used to the joy stick idea on equipment like this. Last thing I dug with was a back hoe for some plumbing I had to install for a temp office in AZ... Yeah... been a while. Operator was a no show that day. Boss asked if I could do it, said sure... why not. It was all levers and foot pedals. No worries. I think it is harder to smooth my movements out with a joy stick. Got pretty damn good at it in an hour or so, but still felt jerky to me compared to the old mechanical stuff. It was a Bob Cat 335. Not exactly impressed with it. Seemed a little weak in the digging dept with a 18" bucket. Made it work though.
Maybe someday I'll own something like it.. but probably more like what Carl has. That man does his research. Just go a little bigger.

Sunday Rain riding!
5bbf5a5e71074aaa5e784ea81f67d63e.jpg

I mean every Sunday before dawn for the last 60 years straight.
There are probably a collective of over a couple hundred riders that have kept it going.

That is freakin awesome. So those are old guys in the pic?

Back