Tulip Poplars, Felling and Rigging, Discuss.

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
I have a bid request for a TP removal or treatment. New homeowners complain of (according to the neighbor) sap dripping and attracting insects, making the small residential back yard use problematic. They are not typically found here. Summer in the northwest is about being outside. If it doesn't work to treat the tree for what Might be Scale, or for other reasons, they may want it out. Sunlight is a big thing in Oly.

Probably a typical tight quarters removal. Maybe able to bomb all the trunk wood or crane. Nothing too fancy, I don't expect.

What are your experiences?

You can rig like a real bad ass in that wood. Its light but reasonably sturdy. Not like oak of course. But you can get away with murder in them because of their weight. These are roped out tulip poplar logs and theyre probably bigger then they look.

I remember that post, he took those trees down in like 2 hours, lots of butt hitching to make em fit in a small lz. Im virtually positive I've never roped chit that big.

Focking huge. Word is that good Philly tree men go huge on the reg.

You rope those chris?! Massive. I've noticed drip that like from aspen and oaks in the summer here Sean... Make a big sticky ring around the tree. I always thought it could be related to the stomata releasing excess water?

Is the wood light but strong and consistent? We have poplars, but no tulip poplars. I don't trust them much at all. Real weak.

My experience with tulip poplars is the limbs break easily...easy to pop a one inch limb off with your hand, maybe even larger. Have to be careful standing on them, more so than with oaks/maples, etc.

They're not as trashy as a white poplar species...... Don't rig em like an oak. I wouldn't use a crotch way out off the tree to rig out of like I will on an oak or something similar. But if you rig off solid wood, you can play hard. The tree in that picture we rigged off the tree beside it. Each went 130'/140'ish. 40 feet apart. The rig tree was rocking like all hell. Its weird watching 130' of tree rock like that from rigging off it. The rig tree was beside the house. The kill tree was beside that but over the pool. 1" bull line and 3 groundmen to deal with each lead that came down on the rope. some leads 35' long. The material swung out over the house and back into the pool area where I let it zing into a hole. The lower logs that would have swung through the side of the house, he put a tag line on to tip them over, a lowering line, and a 3rd line to a lowering device to control and slow/stop the horizontal swing. Ive watched poplars come apart like that since I was born. Bull lines have a very short life in that mans rope compartment.

make sure you have a good rope guy they flex like a pine . have ur rope guy run rope when doing top. branches also snapoff before cut is finished so undercut or box all cuts

Here's a tulip poplar that just fell over this weekend during our wind event...lots of rain and then wind. Plenty of green from a distance but when I went closer it appears to have been dying inside...roots just let go.

This tree is across the street from my office.

Attachments

• poplar.jpg
    poplar.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 94
  • poplar (2).jpg
    poplar (2).jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 95
  • poplar (3).JPG
    poplar (3).JPG
    564.2 KB · Views: 95
  • poplar (4).jpg
    poplar (4).jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 95
  • poplar (5).jpg
    poplar (5).jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 94
Tulip? Here are my experiences...
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-HH_SfCGMss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AHXlJdTADXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eU8DOMqAqqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey mistah, great vids. I remember them from before. Great music. You had a great boom for the brush in that 2 day TD vid, was rope retrieval difficult between cuts, I couldn't tell how far away the boom was.

How do you like that 70 hp self propelled grinder?

btw, here is a cool version of one of those songs, 5 peeps on 1 git.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jQhOdWpxauk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, I'd never wanna rope stuff that big. First of all, to even pull it off, you're ground man has to be Albert Einstien. Second, It's hard on the lines. Third: you can usually get logs like that to flip out fairly flat, which only leaves some fairly acceptable dents. I find that--in absolutely any big removal--what with all the sawdust and everything else having to be raked-up; the whole dang place has to be virtually re-landscaped anyhow--that is, in the NorthWest, where our ground is about like a sponge for nine months, and absolutely hard as a rock for the other two. I know, I know... I left out a month--but only because: during that one, darn near anything is possible.

Yeah, I'd never wanna rope stuff that big. First of all, to even pull it off, you're ground man has to be Albert Einstien.

Well, I guess we could try that for Chris's nickname. "The material swung out over the house and back into the pool area where I let it zing into a hole."

Second, It's hard on the lines. [/QUOTE]

"Bull lines have a very short life in that mans rope compartment."

Wow, what if...
... a big new roof window perhaps:D
Here, we can see some confidence at play8)
Well done.:congrats:

Don't rig em like an oak. I wouldn't use a crotch way out off the tree to rig out of like I will on an oak or something similar. But if you rig off solid wood, you can play hard.

POINT WELL TAKEN..
I've busted out a riggign point on tulip, set with a throwline.... Looked solid enough, but was a few feet from the trunk... Would have killed the climber if he hadn't re-tied in another tree... The groundie took three wraps (for no reason) didn't help much either... that was natural crotch.. Might have gone differently with a pulley and more rope stretch in the system.. I set the lowering line, and wasn't there when it happened..

another thing to watch for on tulip is stump shot... keep the backcut as close to level as possible without making it low, particularly when pulling by hand...

Limbs are considered brittle.. reduction pruning on long horizontal limbs is highly recommended... and tulips will rot out very quickly, especially if the BPZ is violated... some individuals more than others.. I do not to make any cut over 4" on the main stem...

Back