Stihl 660 pre filter opinions

mrdiesel

TreeHouser
Wondering if anyone has any ideas or pics on how to improve the air filter setup on 660s? I have the standard Australian setup with dual port and a pre filter which is keeping the carb clean but the filter is always heavily covered in chip. It seems that once the saw sucks in the chip to the air filter area it has no way of blowing it out.

Its more noticeable on hardwoods when doing longer cuts (i think)

Any ideas wood be appreciated

This is a option I have used on 044 and 046 saws when production felling.
Most times I could go two to three days between cleanings in green hardwood. Were as with the factory setup I was cleaning every night with a air hose.
But using oiled filters is a messy deal. The cleaning, rinsing, and drying took time.
The best filter oil I found to use for catching stuff was Bel-Ray filter oil. But the stuff is tackier than bar oil. Paint thinner/mineral spirits was the easiest cleaning method.

http://www.maxflowfilters.com/

When ripping there is no chip, just dust that ger stuck every were, more or less depending on oil.
Not sure how it is on the Stihl saws, but on most saws I tested milling it is possible to put a cloth over that is easily removed, shaked and put back. A sock ir sweatwe sleeve can be used.
Just keep it in mind and clean/replace every tank it works fine.

Good idea, Magnus. The flock filter I have on my milling saw loads up quick. Never thought of using a sock over it.

Its sort of strange that Stihl never followed Husqvarnas lead on air filtration. I rarely tap my huskys out. My Stihls get tapped clean constantly. The answers to air filtration and antivibe have been made clear by Husqvarna for decades yet Stihl only jumped on board recently. I always wondered why. Stihl are built so well yet they seem stubborn about creature comforts.

Actually Stihl has adopted Husqvarna's air injection design years ago with the MS441.
They just weren't selling enough 660's to make it profitable. Probably also explains why the 660 never got flippy caps either.

I have a factory HD filter on my old late '80's Stihl 064 that came with it when brand new just left like Maximalist's

Its sort of strange that Stihl never followed Husqvarnas lead on air filtration. I rarely tap my huskys out. My Stihls get tapped clean constantly. The answers to air filtration and antivibe have been made clear by Husqvarna for decades yet Stihl only jumped on board recently. I always wondered why. Stihl are built so well yet they seem stubborn about creature comforts.

My thoughts exactly. I only had Stihl at first, then got my 394 in '97 with only a couple of tanks of fuel through it for $500. It was worth the risk. Well, I wasn't disappointed. I had to really think about it when I replaced it a few weeks ago. I could probably have gotten a new 660 for cost, but I couldn't get over the fact that the anti-vibe and air injection of the Husky couldn't be beat. Also, I've never heard that a stock 660 was anywhere near as nice as a good 066.

The 461 and 661 are they air injected?
A lot of miss information out there on other sites, but according to Stihl's websites the MS461 and 661 both have the pre-separation air filter system [air injection]. The 661 has Husky style spring antivibe but the 461 has only rubber mounts.
A lot of the smaller Stihls have both spring mount and air injection including the poplar 441, 362 and 261.

Actually Stihl has adopted Husqvarna's air injection design years ago with the MS441.
They just weren't selling enough 660's to make it profitable. Probably also explains why the 660 never got flippy caps either.

I have a factory HD filter on my old late '80's Stihl 064 that came with it when brand new just left like Maximalist's

Correct about the 441. I have one from the first year they came out. But the 441 isn't a very old saw in the big scheme of things.

It's the longevity of the Stihls that I like. I've got 46's that are ancient and still run strong on all the original internals.

I will never say Stihl are not durable and long lived saws. Ive never had any Stihl die a premature death through any fault of its own. Lately my men have been stealing my 562 as soon as we get to the jobs and Ive been using the hell out of my stihl 361 and while it is no 562, Ive been reminded what an outstanding saw that is for its size.

filter cover 301.jpg filter cover 301.jpg

these are made by outerwears company ,they do not catch everything ,but help a lot with the hd2 filters ,they repel water also

Perhaps a lot of chips is worse, but it seems like anything that you put over a filter is going to impede air flow, and will negatively affect performance.

Perhaps a lot of chips is worse, but it seems like anything that you put over a filter is going to impede air flow, and will negatively affect performance.

i have run the outerwears on atv's for years ,will not run without them now ,they look like would restrict flow a lot ,but they actually do not

Back