Stihl 201 upgrade kit

Just got done sending them my email. My dealer cant get the kit here in Alberta, he can see the kit, look at all the tech info on it but can't order it......:X hope to here back from them, same as Squish said I'll post what they responded..

Cheers
Ben

I've noticed that myself, Squish, if you ask them difficult questions or make pointed comments, they aren't keen to answer. Ask them a dumb question, like where can you buy something, then when someone quickly answers and says that they will be pleased to help you with any more enquiries, you can then address the real issue. :lol:

I bought a great big mower yesterday from the Stihl dealer I do business with,Toro 54" zero turn .

When he delivered it yesterday afternoon in conversation I mentioned the 201 up grade .His supplier is in Cincinnati and one of the largest in the USA .He'd never heard of it .

I'd imagine it has something to do with the region .Stihl for reasons unknown does not make everything accessible to everyone . Fact I had a loop of 3/8" pico chisel a full 6 months before my dealer had any .

I'd well imagine that given enough time if Stihl doesn't make the upgrade kit available some aftermarket concern will .

I had predicted several years ago that somebody would make aftermarket cylinders and pistons for the200t's and it came to pass .

I asked today at my local main dealer.

They had never heard of it and implied I was bull shitting until he punched in the number and found it on the system.

So are ya'll saying my 201 runs so good because it's newer and has these mods already? Or, in other words, if I put this kit in it, would that be a waste of time?

According to the info I've heard any 201T made after Feb 2014 already has the upgrade . If it runs good already it might not be worth the effort . On the other hand if it were Aussie prices of 50 bucks you really don't have much to lose.

I'd imagine it has something to do with the region .Stihl for reasons unknown does not make everything accessible to everyone . Fact I had a loop of 3/8" pico chisel a full 6 months before my dealer had any .

I'd well imagine that given enough time if Stihl doesn't make the upgrade kit available some aftermarket concern will .

I had predicted several years ago that somebody would make aftermarket cylinders and pistons for the200t's and it came to pass .

it is a company/market thing.
Stihl US is not Stihl Germany. It is two different ballgames.

Aftermarket parts are usually copied from original part and most popular models.

I have lots of Husqvarna and Partner stuff that never was sold here or anywere for that matter. Models that never came to be like 60Rancher.

If you guys recall I had ordered the kit and it came with only the ignition moduale. My saw shop finally got back to me and said that Stihl said that was a mistake. It should of had a magneto and carb also and are supposedly sending it. Will post if and when it gets here.

The saga continues. I got a call that the kit was in. Went to the saw shop(100 miles) we opened the box. In it were a magneto, a flywheel and no carburetor! So we are sending it back again. Maybe the third time is the charm, or Stihl just adds a part each time. Getting closer though.

The saga continues. I got a call that the kit was in. Went to the saw shop(100 miles) we opened the box. In it were a magneto, a flywheel and no carburetor! So we are sending it back again. Maybe the third time is the charm, or Stihl just adds a part each time. Getting closer though.

Its time for another brand, or a Stihl dealer that opens a box ahead of time for the simple fact that you are driving 100 miles to find out you are missing stuff. I would have snapped.

I got this reply this morning:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email and the support of our products. I have reviewed your note below and while I understand your frustration and point of view, there are a couple points I would like to add to the discussion. Generally when a MS201T is broken in and adjusted properly, it will outperform its predecessor the MS200.

Each country is responsible for marketing strategy in that country both for parts and units. The advertisement that is showing up on line in this country offers that kit for $50.00. (Australian Dollars). The difference is when you buy that saw in Australia, STIHL makes a different margin as they sell the unit for over $1,200. Here in North America, new unit pricing has far less margin and we sell the same saw for approximately $600 – 700. (a choice we have made) We in fact can get the kit, the kit however here would be $139.95. I am not sure you want to spend $139.95 plus installation for a kit that may not significantly increase the performance.

At STIHL we are constantly researching and developing better ignitions, carburetors, engines for more performance. When we discover a better way to do something, we introduce it into the factory so our customers can enjoy the benefits. That does not mean that the changes are covered under Warranty or that we made a “mistake” initially.

Before spending the money on the kit, I would suggest you contact your dealer and have them set the saw up the way they were taught at Service School. If they have any questions Our Technical Department is pleased to help out. Or I or one of my Techs can contact the dealership to discuss your particular saw if that is your choice.

I trust this adds some clarity to the situation here in Canada specifically. If you want a kit we can supply it, however not at the price listed for other countries for reasons explained above.

With kind regards

Darrell Martin
National Manager Technical Services

I'll give it a whirl. Even at that price. The saw is borderline useless to me as it is. I won't run it. The 540 sits on the bench still with a broken kill switch and 200's rule the truck. I'll go dig up my reply to him.

My reply:

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Just so you know I communicate online with climbing arborists from all over the world. My personal experience of having one of the earliest model 200t's seeming gutless is not a isolated incident or because the saw isn't set up properly. If you're interested, have a look around you tube a bit, check out the arborist and chainsaw forums. It's well known/documented a mostly universal frustration with the early 201t's. I have heard better things about the newer ones. The Australian kit lists I believe either date or serial numbers of when the upgrade 'kit' became standard equipment.

If I can get a upgrade kit for $140 I'd buy it. Can I do that through you? I ask everytime I'm in my dealer, which is about weekly, and nobody there can help me with it. I've even provided the part number from the Australian kit which hasn't helped. Do you have a part number that will work with my local dealer? Will the kit contain everything the Australian kit does?

Thanks for your time,

Justin Fisher

Back