non-pro top handle recommendations

The smaller sprocket-nose would increase chain speed while diminishing torque.
This must be meant differently.
If you mean the saw hold its rpm up better in wood I might buy it, but chain speed is not changing regardless of bar or bar tip.
But the bar and tip will not affect the chain speed until it hits wood. Then it is the friction and number of teeth working that will affect wood.

I ran 9pin bars when cutting beech and Elm years ago on Power Match bars as they were a tiny bit better when boring and I do that a lot so it was helping me, not saw. They wore out faster though..

Magnus: When you shift your bicycle into the smaller gears--regardless of whether the gears are in the back or in the front--you can haul ass, but when you come to a hill, you're stuck... till you shift back up into the bigger gears. Now you have torque. The same is true on the saw... so yes, chain speed is increased on a smaller sprocket. Torque diminished.

The nose sprocket acts as an idler pully, not a gear sprocket Jed. The drive gear is the changing factor. On a bicycle, you are transferring the HP and torque through a set of gears to drive an axle from a powered axle (through the pedals). Not on a chainsaw bar. The front sprocket only serves as a lesser friction devise with the bearings, just keeping the chain in the nose. There is no transfer of torque or HP.

Magnus: When you shift your bicycle into the smaller gears--regardless of whether the gears are in the back or in the front--you can haul ass, but when you come to a hill, you're stuck... till you shift back up into the bigger gears. Now you have torque. The same is true on the saw... so yes, chain speed is increased on a smaller sprocket. Torque diminished.

No.
The wheel change speed by the gears on wheel and crank, not the chain on your bike. The chain speed on your bike is only affected by the cranks gears, not the wheels.
Feel free to crank a bike and see your yourself.

You have same power regardless what gear you are in, same torq and HP just used in different gear ratio.
How the power on wheel is used by gears on crank and wheel is a different matter, but it isn't changed unless your power change.
It is the same with a saw.

so yes, chain speed is increased on a smaller sprocket. Torque diminished.

No, the chain speed remains the same, the sprocket rotates faster.

Otherwise the chain would be moving at two different speeds, which is impossible.

I knew she was a runner when I out-cut a woods ported 200 with it.

Which was mine by the way and it's a screamer .His was the fastest stock 200 I've ever seen .

The average 200T will make two cuts in 8" poplar cants in around 15 seconds .Kevin and I did it in the 11 second range .He beat me by .25 of a second .This was back before you could buy super pico which is chisel chain .

Man Al wouldnt it have been nice to have that PS chain back then. :thumbup:

No.
The wheel change speed by the gears on wheel and crank, not the chain on your bike. The chain speed on your bike is only affected by the cranks gears, not the wheels.
Feel free to crank a bike and see your yourself.

O.k. I just threw my 3 year old up in the bike seat and went for it. O.k. The front sprocket set gets BIGGER, which I had forgot about :|: as you shift into higher gears... but the rear sprocket set gets smaller..:?

So when you decrease the size of the sprocket on the nose of the bar... this would absolutely necessarily change chain speed... right???:withstupid:

No, the chain speed remains the same, the sprocket rotates faster.

Otherwise the chain would be moving at two different speeds, which is impossible.

AHHH... Thanks Stig! You see: education can even elevate the inbred. Well sir... I still have a question to put to you: so what happens if you decreased the diameter of the rim-drive on the clutch... faster chain speed, no??? What say you now, smarty pants?

OK. you looked on the bike and got confused.
There is no gears on the crank of the saw, so choose one on the bike and turn the crank.
No matter how you shift gears on the wheel in back the chain will not change speed until you change gears on crank.
The wheel will go faster but that is irrelevant on a saw as you are not transferring speed or power to a wheel or shaft, just the chain speed...
Ask your 3 year old, I bet they explain better than me.

Bigger rim on engine, faster chain speed.
Smaller rim on engine, slower chain speed.

Engine and its rim/sprocket decide chain speed. Chain speed decide rpm of the bars sprocket.

No matter what bar you have on the saw the chain speed is not affected unless rim or engine is altered.

Got it. And I guess the rim thing is kind of a mute point, since there is probably only one diameter per saw available to us.

No, there is several sizes regardless if it is sprocket or rim, but rim is easier and cheaper to experiment with.

One pin up or down is usually availeble to most models in most brands.

Yup.
We run 8 pin on our 441/461s instead of the 7 they were born with.
Those engines have so much bottom torque that with an 18" bar, which is what we mostly run, the saw cuts much faster without bogging down.

Increase rim diameter= increase chain speed, Jed!

I have run saws with 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 in 3/8. They go 13 and up to the moon also. But you better have power to pull the big numbers as you lose torque while you are increasing chain speed. ;)

Yup.
We run 8 pin on our 441/461s instead of the 7 they were born with.
Those engines have so much bottom torque that with an 18" bar, which is what we mostly run, the saw cuts much faster without bogging down.

Increase rim diameter= increase chain speed, Jed!

:rockon: This is why the treehouse rocks: only way an inbred'll ever get to hang out with a Dane!

So do I:)
We'll be starting a new apprentice as soon as we can find a suitable one.
I'm trying to make up my mind whether I shall let him/her have the 441 or the 461.
I love that bit of extra grunt that the 461 has, but the 441 is so much nicer to run, less vibrations, inboard computer etc.
I ran them both on the same job a couple of weeks ago, and they are just two different creatures.

Jed, being able to hang with folks from all over is GREAT!:D

Back