Crane Job Over Wires.

chris_girard

Treehouser
So I have a crane removal scheduled for tomorrow on a large Red Oak. Two of the large horizontal limbs hang over the 3-phase. I have around 8'-10' vert. clearance. It was too long of a weight to have the lines covered, plus the power company wanted me to sign some OSHA forms which I wasn't too keen on doing, so we are going to move forward with the job.

My crane operator and I have already reviewed the site. To remove the horizontals over the wires, he wants me to just do a tip-tie and then an undercut and he'll lift and tear it up, where I can then sever the holding wood. I have never been too crazy about this technique and prefer to use a shelf/step cut to keep the limb on the butt. I know that Butch likes the undercut/sever technique. Butch, do you still have that sequence of pictures showing how you do that (years ago, you posted them on TB)?

What are others opinions? Thanks guys.

I don't do any crane work so this opinion is probably worthless...but...:D...when I am concerned about the butt of a tip tied limb not being controlled as it releases, I do a short tether from the butt to the spar, make the cut, wait for things to settle down and then release the tether. Sometimes the tether is another rigging line and I let the groundie play out the butt line as is needed as we lower it. That way I don't rely on wood fiber to do all the controlling.

May be overkill for crane work. But I don't like power lines at all.

I like the crane op's idea, although I might opt to face cut the top side so that I could be more sure about the limbs hinging all the way up. I'll keep you in my prayers. You'll do fine.

I second that the crane ops approach is sound with the inclusion of a notch on the top which makes the fold more predictable and less likely to split and tear off. Since instant death is also a factor I also like Garys idea of a tag line which will prevent a wild swing.

I wouldn't want to rely on splitting wood alone to hold the butt.

Is there lateral balance, or will it want to torque off? Last limb I lifted with a face and shelf back cut twisted off. No problem for my situation.

Avoid the Circle of Death in case the limb splits as he lifts and you cut.

I'm thinking I'd do what the crane operator suggests.

These are the only pics I have... not very horizontal but I'm standing it up. No upper undercut - it was a 40 ton crane and he just ripped it up until it was vertical and tore free. Ekkka had fun with these pics! :)

Attachments

• trees 018 (Large).jpg
    trees 018 (Large).jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 62
  • trees 019 (Large).jpg
    trees 019 (Large).jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 62
  • trees 021 (Large).jpg
    trees 021 (Large).jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 64
  • trees 022 (Large).jpg
    trees 022 (Large).jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys for the info and Butch for the pics (those are the ones that I remember).

Will have 2 long slings on each pick, as there is the potential for torqueing and will listen to my CO, as he is also an experienced climber.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So yes, everything went really well on todays crane job (sorry, to busy to take pictures).

In regards to the limbs over the wires, I kept it really simple. I had the crane operator take me way out on the limb (my climb line was kept with me in my rope bag) and tied it with one 20' long 1/2" Amsteel sling, where I knew that it would be butt heavy. Then I had him take it tight (but not too tight) and limb-walked back to the trunk. After I tied in to the trunk, I started to make a straight up undercut until the saw started to pinch and then told the CO to start taking it up slowly (thank you Paul for making those headsets!). As he slowly lifted, I slowly cut, until we had the limb standing vertical and then I just nipped the holding wood. Worked like a charm every time. No need for fancy shelf/bypass cuts, or making upside down notches.

I should mention that we made sure to clear out the large limbs above the ones over the wires first, which then gave us the vertical clearance to lift the picks straight up.

All in all, it was a great day.

Back