Grove AT635E

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very tight area on a busy narrow road wires every where including primaries over street. Just managed to squeeze the crane in and had to get creative with the brush, boomed it into the back yard and cut it small and bundled it up then when we had a bunch loaded it on trailer and them moved trailer with wheel loader half a block with wheel loader and chipped. Got an evil stare by a cop but he didn't stop so all was good. All in all I think we banged out a pretty challenging job in short order. Done by 1-30.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Nice work. The front of your crane is nice and short compared to a boom truck, the extra space that creates must be a big plus sometimes.

You should've stared back and given the sunglass salute. I always wear sunglasses and if someone starts to get on my nerves I enjoy pushing them up on my nose with the middle finger. I call it the sunglass salute! Lol

Tight looking set-up, a lot of tree to have down and out by 1:30 in those quarters for sure.

" the sunglass salute" Yup shoulda since I was backing down a public road on an unlisenced vehicle towing a trailer with no lights or breaks or chains with an unsecured load.... We were joking about the pleather of laws I was breaking but WTF it was just a half block officer:lol:

Maybe not that particular situation then, but remember it for others. It easily turns frustration into amusement for me, but I'm simple that way.

Maybe the cop was just envious of the life/the set up.

English nazi, fwiw: plethora not pleather.

When you don't have a crane, and sometimes when you do, is great to be able to tow your machine, unload your machine and pull your trailer. Saves so many trips out hand carrying. I put all my climbing rigging and clean up gear on board, and toes it into the back yard, as applicable.

Do you lift a pallet/box of all your great into the back yard, ever?

I'd ike to be able to palletized some gear, drive up, put the pallet on the machine, and take it into the back yard. Now, the closest I can get is a piece of plywood on the top of the Boxer, and load up.

I guess, mostly, the crane is your rigging gear.

banged this job out in 2 days including grinding stumps and hauling away grindings from 3 large willow oaks. Didn't have much time for pics but heres what I got

1.jpg 2.jpg

This was this mornings view with most of the brush out but lots of HEAVY wood
3.jpg 4.jpg

Believe it or not this lil piece weighed in at 7700:O
5.jpg

I am really digging the chain chokers Paul. Are those the Morgan Thompson slings on tree stuff? Yours in the pictures look like they are longer than 13.5' though. Nice work!

Was that a paved driveway that big butt was growing next to? Probably, otherwise I bet you would have felled the butt and picked it off the ground.

What are you running for a stump grinder? You must have a dirt bucket for your loader and the grindings?

Nice looking job.

Fred, these are the chains we use, freakin love them.....http://www.westechrigging.com/chain-mgs-516-15.html You can adjust them by the link so as to get a really dug strap if needed in seconds.

Cory yes there is a driveway there and I have a beat to crap Rayco 1672 DXH which just keeps on getting it!

I do have a bucket for the loader but it wasn't on the job , we lay out a HD tarp under the grinder and when the belly gets full move grinder and pick the tarp up with crane and dump in chip truck. Works really well and saves the chips getting so backed up that they start recycling and bogging down the machine. We had the 3 stumps ground and cleaned up in about 2 hours...

I might be having a brain fart, Paul.

How do you use that built-in chain grab hook to your advantage? Its been a while...as I remember, my crane op has a locking hook on the end of his cable. Maybe not locking. He hangs a big oval link with (2) 15' chains with hooks. Generally, its just a matter of choking, and tensioning. Is the adjustability for when you're doing two attachments?

I will try to explain , they are very versatile so I will miss some uses. 1 which is probably the main advantage is we roll most of the time with 15' 5/16 chains, if you set them half way out on a long horizontal limb and have head room you can then cable up and swing some to get the climber back to the cut, however if you don't have any headroom the climber chokes it up short so you can still have some cable. They are quick to set as you just need to snap the hook and its done, no need to touch the ball. When picking big wood you can "bridle" the log very quickly so it can be picked with no lean. For $300 you get pretty much all the straps you need for a year or so (I replace mine every year but not sure its necessary)

Back