How many own a 200' climb line??

Exactly why I double the height of the tree for my rope or ascent Derrick. "In Case Of". Sure I could change back over from DdRT to SRT.. But why... ? Need to bail now? Bail...! NP.. Setting a second line with the tail is always a nice option especially with a lack for a central high TIP. CA black oaks are a prime example of the need to reset the line on occasion. I will often just use a separate line I have with me though rather than use the tail.. Again.. Just in case. Last black oak I did had some hollow limbs and one made a cracking sound as I walked out and cut off from it.... I was very happy I was ready in case :D I was double crouched at the time so I just would have been left hanging though... :D

Added note on Gords.. You can bleed out in 2 mins..

My 3/8 gold line, 300 feet, weighed in just as much as 120 ft of 1/2 inch gold line.

I did a 180 foot rappel out of the Montgomery Giant on the 300' of 3/8s, double line, two different climbs. Stretch made it possible. Though I was a bit short, about 6 feet of touching the ground, I just bounced and let go the end. A real rubber band that line was.

But 200 ft lines were common place in my early years. A lot of weight to hang off the belt fully extended and dragging through limbs below. You have to manage some work arounds at times.

I regularly climb with a 200' though its not always nessasary. Normally I buy 200' and make an 80' and a 120' but I always keep a 200' on hand. We not only have tall trees in the PNW but we get silver maples with 100' spread and black oaks with 80' spread too.

This thread's making me wanna add a 150 to my bag of tricks. No need for 200 'round these parts.

Excellent.

My longest is 150, which I use maybe 20% of the time, a 120' 50% of the time,and a 70' the last 30% of the time.

I've been meaning to buy a 200' to be able to always reach the ground even in tall trees, and for ascending SRT in tall trees.

Especially for the benefit of some of our newer members, it occurs to me that I really might be a little more specific...so much of my work doing natural resource management work aloft is miles away from the bread and butter work most of y'all see every day.

For DbRT ropes, the max I use is 225 feet. 150 or 200 is the norm.

But a significantly greater proportion of my tree work entails SRT ascent and descent, where the minimum length of the ropes I use is 300 and the maximum is 600. And perhaps even more commonly, the ascent is made by spurs or Swedish stacking ladders, and less frequently with Swiss tree grippers. In those cases the descent usually is via rappel on doubled SRT line on a 8 w/ ears or a rack...in this application 225 is the least I can get away with, and 300 is average.

I agree that rope management in conifers is simplicity itself compared to dealing with the issues a wide crown presents...nonetheless, no one happily hauls 200+ feet of 1/2 inch DbRT lifeline around no matter what the tree structure.
;)

Especially for the benefit of some of our newer members, it occurs to me that I really might be a little more specific...so much of my work doing natural resource management work aloft is miles away from the bread and butter work most of y'all see every day.

For DbRT ropes, the max I use is 225 feet. 150 or 200 is the norm.

But a significantly greater proportion of my tree work entails SRT ascent and descent, where the minimum length of the ropes I use is 300 and the maximum is 600. And perhaps even more commonly, the ascent is made by spurs or Swedish stacking ladders, and less frequently with Swiss tree grippers. In those cases the descent usually is via rappel on doubled SRT line on a 8 w/ ears or a rack...in this application 225 is the least I can get away with, and 300 is average.

I agree that rope management in conifers is simplicity itself compared to dealing with the issues a wide crown presents...nonetheless, no one happily hauls 200+ feet of 1/2 inch DbRT lifeline around no matter what the tree structure.
;)

Burnham, could you post some pics of the stack ladders? I used some when I washed windows, and a few years ago I saw some in the back of a guys truck from a Cananda, that were for trees, had some fastner rig on the upper stack. been looking for some ever since.

By the by. I use a 200' frequently when Drt in conifers while pruning.

100' is my favorite removal length.

I have a 200 ft access line, but for climbing, Ive very rarely needed anything longer than 150 ft. In most areas of the US I dont think its needed.

I'll use a 200 foot if I'm going to do much double tie-in climbing. 'Course, you could always just have someone send you up another line and stay with the shorties.

or retie or redirect. I just dont see the need for such a long rope unless you climb to 90 plus feet day to day. My everyday rope is 150 ft and most of the time I wish it were shorter.

Even for where I work, a shorter rope is way better in the crown. When I gain the crown, I'll often set a 200 or 300 foot rappel line just a bit up into the live limbs, doubled for retreival, and work up and down within the upper section of the tree with one of my my 150's.

60 feet max is a typical climb in these parts... 80 percent of the time. The other 20 percent is 60 to 80, with 110 the max I've ever had to go out here.

I bought a 200' climbing line once....and immediately cut it to make a 115' and an 85'.My longest climbing line is a 140'-which I seldom use. 90' feet suffices for 90% of local climbing.

Back