Tree felling vids

Here's one that I'm sure is taking some timber well over 100 feet. Be sure to watch the little bit near the end taken from a helicopter.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fn8MZc15vcY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If I earned my living hand felling in the forest, I'd be worried.

Nothing to worry about, since the hand logging game is long lost.
We only log the biggest hardwoods now, but give it a few years, and the harvesters will be able to tackle those as well.
I'm the last of a dying breed, which is OK, since my time in the woods is about over.
Pity for my apprentices, though.
I absolutely HATE the fact that logging has passed from being done by hard men with horny hands, to being done by a bunch of soft fat boys with softer hands!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bet the last dinosaur sounded something like me.........................................Grumble, grumble,grumble:lol:

More like, WTF are all those tiny furry things?
Is that supposed to be next years model.

That was a heckuva video, B. I've never seen a machine that big taking on big timber. That was mighty impressive and the operator must be one of the best. Taking out that big tree was nuts.

I hate to see the skill of hand falling die off. But it's unrealistic to think that it was here to stay. Axes and buck saws were put to bed by chainsaws, chainsaws have mostly been put to bed by mechanical cutters, and one day, those too will be obsolete. The chainsaw era was short if you think about it. There's safer and faster ways to do it. It sucks because many of us were partial to that style, but again, it would be foolish to think that going into the 2000's, sucking fumes from a loud handheld tool at the base of a tree was a method that was meant to go long term.

Nostalgia makes us curse mechanical cutters. There's something wholesome about an honest days work in the woods.

Well said, my young brother.

There used to be a niche for hand falling on steeper slopes, but these newest machines are rapidly taking that option away, too...that and land management agencies and owners being more and more loath to cut really steep ground. Not that I think that particular move is a bad thing.

There's still plenty of steep falling around on our coast. As always if someone's got the skills and focus hand falling jobs are there for the taking. I just dislike how the feller buncher up until most recent days has been limited to and therefore eats up all the creamy ground. Totally changed logging imo, big payments, big production. Big, big, big. Sounds like a great plan until there's no wood left.

A take down from a few weeks ago.....

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NrZbXRswAPA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The owner was doing the cleanup, I love those jobs! :thumbup::D

Took me a while and a lot of experimenting, but that setup is workin' out reeeeeal nice! ;)

Back