How'd it go today?

Worked with aches and fever yesterday. Chills and fever last night. I guess I am going to stay home today.:(

I could have used a Wraptor today. Been SRT'ing up and down all day.
We are harvesting seeds for the University. Some DNA thing to determine how far pollen flies.
For some reason, luck probably, we've ended up being the preferred arbos of Copenhagen university biological faculty, which gets us some interesting jobs ( At a decent pay:))
Harvesting seeds in ash trees that have been affected by the fungus that are killing them off is exciting work, since the leaves are off the trees, so we can't tell which branches are dead from the fungus.
When they break off, it sure wakes you up.
All the surrounding trees have autumn colors, so it is pretty nice, when the sun is shining.
We'll finish it tomorrow, I'll try to remember my camera.

Y'all get some good and interesting out-of-the-norm gigs, Stig. That luck fell my way a lot in the latter part of my climbing career too, and it sure makes for a much more interesting work life, doesn't it?

I think the luck is made, frankly...you get a rep from one or two odd jobs successfully done, luck there no doubt, but after that you begin to get more of those sorts of calls, often from quite far afield (in my case anyway). Seems like word of mouth is the driving force. The more jobs like that you take and complete well, the more calls you get. Reputation is what makes it happen. And that is most definitely not luck.

:thumbup:

Well so much for Kims 100 ft fir. We measured it at 150 with my climbline. We zipped the limbs into an opening but all the wood had to be rigged down conventional style. That was a lot of logs to tie-off I can tell you. I was probably 7-8 hours stood in the spurs today. Windy as hell too.:) Heres the top coming off.

Use HD setting

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BjvZWwmKgXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice Reg!
Id have tears in my eyes being in spurs for 7-8 hours :lol: ;)

:big-rolling:Off this week as well, been doing a lot of hunting/exploring.... starting to get use to this, such a nice break:hello1:

Yup, it sure breaks up the monotony of doing the same every day.
Getting a foot in this door was a blessing.

I was thinking about that picture of Melanie in a skinny top today, Burnham.
I climbed one tall peckerpole ash that was so skinny, it would move about 3 feet, just from me sticking out my arm to reach for seeds.
At first I thought it was the wind moving it, but once I figured out how little it took for me to bend that thing way out of line, I started rocking it and got to laughing so hard, the guy from the Uni came over to see what was up.
That totally freaked him out:lol:

Easy day today for once.

Now to head out for a band rehearsal and recording session. Why the boss decided to record on our first time playing with a new member is beyond me. New guy is a dobro player of all things:|:...my days in this unit may be numbered...

It was a nice day for cleaning up the wood lot. I spent the entire day sorting through the dead trees that I removed from a farmstead about 15 miles north of me. The larger logs are cut to length with a chainsaw. The smaller logs will be processed with the tractor-mounted buzz saw. I have plenty of log-splitting to do in the coming days.

Cleaning up the wood lot 001.jpg

Nice job, Reg. That's some fine looking country you work in, you do much hiking or exploring in the woods there??

Today kinda sucked, had a run around with gate codes and wasted a bunch of time. Had to switch things up and do some stumping to atleast turn some revenue for the day. Atleast I was able to train the new guy on some stump grinding for a bit.

Nice job, Reg. That's some fine looking country you work in, you do much hiking or exploring in the woods there??

Not too much Cory. I work with trees all week, so I really dont like to spend my spare time looking at more of them.

Mick, sure the velcro wraps help....as do wearing short gaffs.

It was a nice day for cleaning up the wood lot. I spent the entire day sorting through the dead trees that I removed from a farmstead about 15 miles north of me. The larger logs are cut to length with a chainsaw. The smaller logs will be processed with the tractor-mounted buzz saw. I have plenty of log-splitting to do in the coming days.

View attachment 58283
candoarms, does North Dakota have a Dutch elm disease firewood ban legislation? Pretty heavy fines here in Manitoba for storing or selling elm firewood.

Way back in 1975 DED [Dutch elm disease] entered here in Manitoba for the 1st time from a load of elm firewood brought in from Minnesota. It didn't take long for the DNR to figure out where the disease came from when the homeowner and his neighbors elm trees started dying.

HolmenTree,

The North Dakota Forestry Department is pretty strict about keeping and storing diseased wood inside city limits. Our local forestry manager here in Cando....Ross Myers.... keeps a close eye on the trees in town. He will notify a property owner of any problem, and the property owner must take action within a specified amount of time......at their own expense. The city is responsible for the trees in our parks, golf course, camp grounds, ect.

Outside of city limits, where the infected trees do not threaten another person's property, there is no enforcement. Still, I'm careful not to sell any diseased firewood. I police myself very well. Any diseased wood that I harvest is quickly burned in my own furnace, or piled and burned immediately after harvesting it.

Joel

Good to hear Joe. Here in Manitoba our capital city Winnipeg which is approximately 400 square miles in size has the largest urban concentration of North America elm on the continent . Being on the prairies and rivers running through the city, it's a natural environment for elm habitat as the elms flourish along and off the river banks. Probably your case in North Dakota too.
Our government legislation control of DED is keeping it at bay to a point but still thousands of diseased trees are removed every year.

Elm pruning bans run here from April to the end of August when the elm bark beetle is the most active.

Whether a elm tree is diseased or not, if it's dead it's regarded as diseased here.

HolmenTree,

400 square miles? Cando almost covers 1 square mile. I'm located 120 miles northwest of Grand Forks, at the junction of State Highway 17 and U.S. Highway 281. The Canadian border is exactly 35 miles north of Cando. When my friends here in the U.S. ask me where I live, I tell them that I'm so far north that there are only three directions from my house. LOL.

Nice chatting with you, Sir. Stay in touch.

Joel

I told someone last night via text message that they had the communication skills of a three toed tree sloth. Was that wrong?

Job planned for today got rescheduled (the contractor forgot!?:X) so no work. Got some things done around home instead. Organized some wood piles, trimmed water-sprouts from a few Box Elders & Mulberries, cut down some lilacs & sumac that were covered in grape vines and dying...etc.

I had a full automobile of Dars clothes I gave to charity today .Starter came for the Ranger so it's working again .

Once the windshield wiper kits for the Jeep get here it will be done .So then it's time to head for the woods with the saws .

Got to bed at 2AM last night...30 min. sleep...got call at 2:30 that a nine year old girl was missing. Our Dive Team also does land search and rescue. Three of us reported to Command Center and got assigned to work with police going door to door in neighborhood. We would check perimeters of houses and cars while cops talked to residents...some folks have trouble with coherency at 3AM...hahaha..I know I do.

Long story short...she had run away due to family drama at 9pm...police alerted approx 11pm...they called us in as search expanded at 2AM. They finally found her in the house which had already been searched 4x by cops and once by fire dept...they used thermal imager to verify house was empty. The girl finally admitted she left at 9, stayed in the woods a few streets over. It was pretty cold with heavy dew last night. She got cold enough she returned home, snuck in past deputy and hid under air mattress...somehow they checked again and found her OK. Search called off, got to bed at 7AM.

In the midst of all that I had a nut case lady calling/texting me about a cat in a tree. I finally talked to her about 11AM after a little sleep. She said no one would help her save her neighbors cat from being up a tree. She didn't have any more money to pay for rescue...her last $40 she gave to a "rescuer" who could only get half way to the cat because he didn't have enough gear...haha...what does THAT mean anyway?

I told her to put tarps as nets under the tree for the cat to fall in...she thought that was a GREAT idea...whatever. Finally, the kicker...she asked me, "if I do get the cat down can I keep it since the owners won't save it???" I told her I am not the Cat Judge and that she will have to work that out...nut case.

Full moon???? Sorry...this may be one of those TLTR comments.:lol:

Had to do some right of way work for the township. They want more sun to hit the road. Nothing hard about it, just go like hell to get it done before the rain comes. It didn't start raining till I got home. I found the antifreeze leak I've been trying to track down in my personal bucket truck finally. Just an 0-ring or gasket , nothing major. Gonna try to get some wood cut if it quits raining.

Back