August Hunicke Videos

Its good it goes to the lowest bidder, I just can't figure why some guys would want to go so low, as in 50 -70% lower than reasonable prices. And some travel 1-2 hours one way to do it.

Desperation.

At an isa conference a while back, the presenter said tree businesses were right behind restaurants as the best candidates for going out of business.

Tradesmen don't always make the best CEOs of their companies.

Desperation.

At an isa conference a while back, the presenter said tree businesses were right behind restaurants as the best candidates for going out of business.

Tradesmen don't always make the best CEOs of their companies.

I just don't believe that. Low overheads, payment on the day usually.

If you want to hock yourself up to the hilt with bucket truck etc. Sure. But a chipper, chip truck and some saws, 25k maybe.

I would say it's very much a come and go business, I've known a few knock it on the head because they're too old, got bored or moved into garden maintenance or associated trades for an easier life.

But unwillingly go out of business due to bankruptcy, you'd have to try pretty hard I reckon.

Interesting, maybe true Mick. But many of our peers don't manage money well. So if we place ourselves in a position of high overhead and then don't use the money wisely… I could see how I might have to downsize for survival reasons but, I probably wouldn't go out of business. I have no better gig.

I dunno Mick its hard to believe but some people do actually go out and do that, not a lot but they are out there. I know a guy that spent 2k a month on advertising and all he had was ONE 50cc saw , he's an idiot admittedly but I still remember him telling me that tree work was "a license to print money". He lasted around 6 months and then went bust. He knew tree work a bit but knew nothing of business...

The newly minted arborists from the forestry school do that all the time.
Start a company and immediately buys a chipper, a stumpgrinder and of course a Landrover to pull the chipper, because that is the most hipster cool car.
Last about one year, then go bottom up.
Doesn't help that they all set up in the area where the school is.
You can feed hogs with arborists up there, ther are so many.

The good thing is that there is always a surplus of good, hardly used machines on the market for the rest of us to enjoy.

Im a firm believer that one should work a year at the very least with an established company before starting out on your own.

Remember Woodentop? He left (thank God!) with the intention of completing a part time course in arboriculture.

The college found a firm which offered him work (at a low wage) to fill in the blocks between the courses.

He turned it down, didn't need the experience apparently.......

Hey Willie, what was that big fat guys name that bought every piece of equipment in the world and then went belly up? Oh yeah, Russell Hall. He had big full-page ads showing all kinds of equipment.
Come to think of it, my first official tree service back in the early/mid 90s went belly up. I know the reasons why also.
Several reasons. The most prominent being I was hammered all the time.

Yeah, he wad in and outta business several times. Borrowed big money every time and liked to be a big shot. Used to hear stories of snorting coke all weekend and such. Bought a ridiculous house and put his financed equipment up as collateral.... that was the last time, he definitely won't be back.

Omg that was hilarious re the bargaining that goes on every AM when waking up, I do the same exact thing, it's an annoying process cuz the stay in bed virtually always loses. Surprised that 'it might rain' figures in to your thinking since you obviously don't GAF re rain. Although I guess your early, early morning self cares about it;)

Hahahaha exactly. My early morning self cares about the rain. My fully awake brain cares about the bank account.

Lot of factors, your age for example, if your 20, sure, too young, but if you're in your early thirties and had always had the intention to do your own thing, well, a full yearly cycle where you've completed every sort of work that you're likely to encounter with another firm is enough.

Some people, however old and experienced, will never be ready of course.

Astute, Interesting observation Jer. I love that time when you told me you were "made for it." You referencing my poem was music to my ears after looking up to you for so many years. Man I've had a rewarding life.

Back