The official "Welcome New Members" thread!

Limbrat you beat me to it.

I had not heard of the thigh rule, TIP is generally my biggest concern in climbing and I have used stuff smaller than my thigh - and I only weigh 145 lbs

In general, which is to say, without consideration to crap unions, included bark, damaged wood...4 inches for a conifer, up nearly to or at the bole junction, 3 inches for a hardwood.

Thigh sized? Not necessary, quite limiting in fact...but certainly safe.

Good inspection of the roots, base, observe tree structure for defects while ascending, being familiar with the strengths and weakness of the tree, if on SRT tie in midline attachable canopy anchors when passing suspect structures, have a good idea of the weather in the recent past, understand what the tree has survived, take in and feel the strength of the tree and consider that if you unnecessarily hesitate too much you might be making $20/hr as to $100/hr. ;)

Hey all name's Gauge been doing suspension work for a long time but just recently decided I wanted to be a kid again with a chain saw, lol. I am currently using a Cougar harness that I do not like at all (just personal preference) I am going to try a New Tribe harness and possibly a TM or Tree Austria saddle. I am also looking at the Buckingham Rebellion but heck idk. I love to climb and I like the cool breeze you get up there. The owner yells at me sometimes cause I'm slow but I am going to be safe first then speed will come later.

Morning,

Decided to join the forum yesterday. April fools :-)

orchard..pruning.jpg

Coldest winter Western Ma has ever seen since the first recorded temp in Amherst 122 years ago has finally passed.

P3270001.jpg

Attachments

• orchard.pruning.jpg
    orchard.pruning.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Afternoon Jim,

Thanks for the welcome. I am a Scorpio with a Capricorn moon who lives to work, usually outside and alone.

Welcome Walker, my names Randy.
A friendly hello neighba' from just a bit north of you.
Ayuh, a cold winter for sure, just loaded up the woodstove again..... ;)
Look forward to "hearing" more about you.
People here are relaxed and friendly, a good place to "hang out"..... :thumbup::D

Morning, Randy,

Good to meet you and thanks for the welcome. We burn oil for heat. I look forwards to meet & greet.

I move around a lot, always returning to Western Ma though.

Randy, I have to ask. From context I've gotten "derp?" down, from Butch. What does "ayuh" mean, and how is it said?

Randy, I have to ask. From context I've gotten "derp?" down, from Butch. What does "ayuh" mean, and how is it said?
It means 'yep!'
Ayuh, Master is right.

Ayuh, Butch is right. ;)
It's a New England thing I think, kinda hard to explain how to say it without hearing the "accent".....

Sean, I actually laughed out loud when I saw your post. :lol:

Nick Bonner asked me the same thing, and wanted to know how to say it. Talking with him on the phone it was a lot easier for him to hear it than to try to explain it. You might be able to hear it if you listen close to some of my videos..... :)

Back