Husky T540 or Stihl 201T?

Don't worry.
I'm paranoid enough to think he meant me, but then realized that if that was the case, I'd be on his ignore list, so I couldn't have upset him.

Heck no, TreeGonfu and Stig and everyone else here rocks. Max is the fly in the ointment for me, but no biggie, ignore works well.

Paul, thanks for the info.

Our two new 540's just came in last week. According to the manual, you're supposed to just fire that pig up and then just completely bury the tip in big wood for about four solid minutes to set the micro-processor, so I did. I then took the garbage Oregon chain straight off that pig. What a silly little excuse for a semi-chisel. Next, I sharpened up my Sneller modded 201, then I sharpened my factory Stihl semi-chisel pico, that I had put onto the 540. Warmed-up both saws, and then timed some cuts. The 540 beat the 201 every single time even by as much as a full second in 9" Red Oak.

Thank you Reg Coates for laying the groundwork on the PROPER way to mod the 201. Good-by Stihl.

Oh, and if you guys want to see an amazing example of the gains that can me made with some MILD port work... check out this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iQG-R-mp5u0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Was that an old original run 201 Jed or a newer one?

I traded my 540 in on a 880, never looked back. Have fun with that 4min run in/set procedure, totally bogus. My 540 had the intake boot issue, then started leaking fuel, something to do with the primer bulb(primer bulb, snicker snicker), and never seemed to run right. After a few problems that 'simple' set procedure grows old.

To tell the truth, YOU'RE vid rather blew ME away. I think, so much just depends, Mick, on wood conditions cutting attachments, and sharpening to suit those conditions, that the redneck cookie-cutting vids cannot but fail to disappoint sometimes.

What blew me away was the THREE SECOND GAINS that the guy made just by doing some conservative port work....... I might have to turn redneck.

I know... I know.... Like I'm not already.

I always thought you could tell the age and manufacture date by the sticker on the chain break handle of a 201t.

For the record I still use 200t's.

RopeArmor: The Vikings went straight to Valhalla for dying in battle...

All that is required for us rednecks to get to heaven, is to die of power-saw emissions. I dunno...
Seems like a pretty small price to pay. :drink:

Back