Charly Pottorff - Moving Big Pieces of Wood Safely

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If only, we lived as long as some of the big trees, now that would be something!

BTW, I found my DVD from Charly...still need to call him just to chat and see how he's doing.

Here's a video of Charly's work. This may have been posted here before, but it's still good. Watch both parts.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g0P8w3xqrBI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Too bad there was heart rot in the tree though, but maybe it didn't go too far up.

I love hearing Charly tell his guys to "watch out" and "have someone lower the piece who knows what they're doing."

Looks like ole Charly is as tough on the crew as he is on that lowering line, but you know what, I bet that that was what a lot of those kids needed, is someone who can show you things without having to worry about hurting someone's feelings. Sometimes, I think that we're missing this in this politically correct working environment that we live in today.

I don't think that drop would damage the log.

Underground plumbing, maybe?

Perhaps he just wanted to break in a new rigging line...

;)

I'll be chatting with Charly later today and I'll ask him why he decided to "catch" the Walnut tree like that.

A hold-back line on the spar might have lessened the shock loading.

Any letting the line run, or was it all tree deflection and rope stretch?

29v1fra.jpg

I'd say it was all tree deflection and rope stretch. :evil:

And I wouldn't be surprised to learn there was something underground that needed to be protected, but most likely he just didn't want to damage the log.

Back