milling thread

The weather had finally improved enough to do some work around the mill. A neighbor asked me to look at some cherry logs from a big multi-leader tree he had that had been hit by lightening years ago. Most of it was toast, but there were a few good logs. I picked them up with the Kubota and trailer yesterday, and got them sawed out this afternoon. It was nice to do something other than firewood. Although I still had to do fiewood.:lol:

20150319_130331.jpg

It's no unusual to see cherry over 24" around here. It often grows very crooked, making it hard to get good sawlogs. I did cut up a cherry that was 4' dbh last spring. The heart was gone out of it, but it was an honest 4'. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it.

395XP/ 24" bar on top.

cherrylog.jpg

P1020474.JPG P1020475.JPG The boys spent most of today turning ash logs into planks with the Alaskan mills.
With the way the ash is dying out, these should be worth something in the future.

Redwood table top, cypress legs. .....thinking i should have put the skirt on the inside rather the out....oh well.

6554cc593f34da8e7ef588ed1fcf5cb8.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OLKA6yr5s5Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg Starting to really enjoy my mill. Starting a new project, addition for the kids rooms as we have a 1200sq' house with 2 beds and a boy and a girl.

Milled this poplar log and got 23 3x8s for the floor trusses.

Back