The Hunicke Interviews: Gerald Beranek

Fantastic interview. I'm sure it will make your Pop smile.

How far did the top of the 150' trunk sway when the top pushed it back? How close to the neighboring tree?

6 exposures left, man, close. He made them count.

I was interested in the brief comments about being famous, both by Jerry and August. I've been lucky to meet some people at the top of their game, I mean world famous, and at the level that their fans drool over. Broke some bread with them too. The ones I've been privileged to meet, they were the so humble and cool people to spend time with. Knowing how to carry yourself if you are in the public eye, is a fine quality that must reflect experience and a good heart.

Wish he had been at the redwood gtg just to film the campfire conversations a few years back!
I know he's not too excited to do another interview but Burnham with a glass of scotch...

Next to Gerry Beranek, I'd run perhaps a weak second...but damn, we had fun around that campfire, kneeboot deep the bs ran, eh? Fine times, great stories, memories of and for a lifetime. The younger crowd there are an especially blessed group, no value too high could be placed on such an experience.

Haven't had the time to view your vid yet, August...but I know it will be epic, and look forward to it and the rest as you are able to get them posted. Thanks for all the fine work to do this.

Pretty sure you made it into this video as well Burnham. Thought I saw your picture in the rec climbing chapter of coast Redwood.

BTW thanks for the positive comments guys. Positivity motivates me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C'mon Jerry, you did great.
I have people writing me letters saying that they were in joyful tears over your storytelling skills.
For example:

"Hi August,

Just Have to tell you I am so jealous and yet so happy that you got to sit down and do that with Gerry. Happy for you and I am amazed of you interest of video taping your work. I am an arborist in the San Francisco Bay area in California. Only been an arborist for four years now. I met Gerry in Contecticut, 4 years ago at the TCIA Expo and let him know how awesome I thought he was, by the way I have everything he has wrote or video taped as well. I can't lie to you I shed a tear or two when I watched this! out of jealousy or pure joy of watching it! I just have such passion for what I do for a living that's why and to see this was AWESOME! Im so happy for you for getting the chance to make this and Publishing it! Keep up the great work, but first of all BE SAFE! We need you to get up at one of the Expos and give a talk about your life and career in the Arboriculture field, I think everyone could learn something from you! Your a stand up dude and someone who can change or help prevent a lot of unnecessary injuries or lives lost!

Hope me meet in the future!

Thanks for all the enjoyable video footage!

Greg Karobkoff"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The TreeHouse needs to be called The Beranek House! :beer:

Those spur pads were an experiment that proved to be worthless, Ray.

If I'd been a bit better speaker I believe August would have used less dissolves and effects.

Oh, yeah the camp fire stories. The next morning I was a bit fuzzy.

My word, didn't we have fun. Now I get to have included on my list of life accomplishments, "got Jerry Beranek drunk as a skunk on scotch, straight from the bottle".

Really, as I remember it you sorta took care of that without any help from me, all I did was keep passing the bottle around the fire :D. We sat on opposite sides of the blaze, and it was like a ping pong match, each of us handily returning stories and jibes that were like hard overhead smashes with heavy English...long volleys, they were, too. Man, that was a great get together.

Got to watch it today on the big screen, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience!
Kudos to you, August. And Jerry & Terri!

Dave

Yeah, August and Gerry, I'm with the rest of the crowd. Really great job all around. Hugely appreciated. I know you hate being fawned over, Gerry, but I can't resist, just this one time.

:drink: :beerchug: :big-not-worthy:

I look forward to seeing part II !

Tim

Very well put together August :thumbup: Jerry you did great.... it seemed like you'd no sooner started talking and an hour had gone by. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Thanks, Reg, and all. And thank you, August. By the way, Reg, I suggested to August that he do an interview with you. You're not getting any younger you know. All us old-timers are slowly trickling away and new ones are steadily coming up. Lots of great stories to pass on and on and on. Ha!

Very cool to watch! I got a little anxious when there was talk about The Rockport tree, more like fist pumping, where's the file, saw mix, and bar oil, and lets go type of anxious!

Thanks, Reg, and all. And thank you, August. By the way, Reg, I suggested to August that he do an interview with you. You're not getting any younger you know. All us old-timers are slowly trickling away and new ones are steadily coming up. Lots of great stories to pass on and on and on. Ha!
maybe in another 10 years, I'll be a worthy candidate. In the meantime I'd love to hear Burnham and some of the other vets tell their stories.

You are kind, my friend.

And pretty smart too, Reg. At your age, I was just beginning to hit my best years so far as being sought out for the jobs nobody else relished, or could even visualize how to approach, and it was another decade beyond that before my worn out body began to undercut what my experience and accumulated skills would allow me to accomplish. I was strongest, had more stamina, could work harder at 32, but was faster getting things done at 42. One's brain is the sharpest tool you will ever deploy, if you can use it wisely.

The best is ahead for you sir, unless I'm sadly mistaken.

Back