MS200 intermittent fault

Thor's Hammer

Wolfish. Sometimes Bites.
Decided to pull out an MS200 thats been sitting at the back of the bench broken with a split inlet boot, and make it work again. I dont like having broken saws.

So it didnt take long to fix, new inlet boot in place, and put back together. Except now it has a really irritating fault.

Before I changed the boot, it ran fine, apart from fast revving and a bit of lean fast running at certain saw angles.

Went to start the saw and it started fine. Revved up, ticked over etc. Then suddenly just stopped. Pull pull pull, nothing doing, wont start. Check fuel lines etc, no luck. Pour teaspoon of fuel into carb, still wont start. Pulled the plug, then plugged it in the lead wile out to check for spark. First few pulls, nothing.... then a nice fat spark.

Re- install plug, and saw starts straight away. 2 minutes later, cuts out all over again. repeat twice. Is it possible that a coil will show spark in open air but not under compression?

Some of the little magic pixies that make it go are on strike. Hang a dream catcher over it at night under a full moon, see if you entice some new ones to go live in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I cleaned out the coil and leads, and it seems to have cured itself. Thanks for the offer pete, I have a spare here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some of the little magic pixies that make it go are on strike. Hang a dream catcher over it at night under a full moon, see if you entice some new ones to go live in it.

I trapped a small demon inside it, and make it peddle a small stationary bike that drives the chain.

The way the kill switch wires route around hither and yon it would be a surprise if you didn't experience problems .

Sometimes when they are set a bit lean they miss a fire and with next intake they get too much and flood.

I think it will be OK. Don't run it lean....

On on of my 200s I put back together, I was getting an intermittent short right where the kill switch wires were on the ground. If I had the little clip just off angle slightly, the connector would arc onto the ground wire just under the switch. Drove me crazy. Just on a hunch I loosened the screw on the ground and moved it a hair, runs great. One of those Arrrrrrrrg gonna make the saw fly deals if this don't fix it :lol:

When I was way young we had a friend of the family who was a surveyor by trade and quite an outdoorsman and a character, big drinker and fighter. Uncle Phil we called him. Phil ran saws a fair amount bushwacking for survey lines. He always said that when a saw wouldn't stop acting up he would take and throw it as hard and far as he could. If that didnt fix it well, at least he felt a whole lot better after ;)

I don't mind being a big drinker, just not so keen on the fighting part...

Better to have another drink and a daub! :beer:

Back