Hunting 2016

So, any Bears in the area that might have been what he wanted, will never come back if they hear a gunshot? I don't understand the big loss if he made a loud noise. So if that ruined the potential that day....guys obviously still sit for days sometimes waiting for a Bear to come in. His set up there doesn't seem very elaborate with just a barrel off in the distance and a tree down for cover. He wasn't in a stand. Not arguing, just wondering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
But when I watch that truly magnificent creature balling up and doing the death dance after taking a bullet through the shoulders, it just makes me sad. It's upsetting. Honestly. Not trying to sound like a lunatic here though I realize that notion may come across lame or something. But here at the 'House we have folks who perhaps can give me some perspective.

Just wondering what other people feel about the killing.

That's not lame at all Cory. I think every truly ethical hunter feels a little of that. It's a mixed bag of emotions really. Excitement and nervousness (also called buck fever), joy and happiness for the success, and also that twinge of sorrow that comes from taking another animal's life. It's strange though, I have tremendous respect for white-tailed deer, bears - not so much. I guess it comes from seeing so many dumpster divers around here and having to clean up the mess they leave behind.

I definitely appreciate your response and perspective.

So, any Bears in the area that might have been what he wanted, will never come back if they hear a gunshot? I don't understand the big loss if he made a loud noise. So if that ruined the potential that day....guys obviously still sit for days sometimes waiting for a Bear to come in. His set up there doesn't seem very elaborate with just a barrel off in the distance and a tree down for cover. He wasn't in a stand. Not arguing, just wondering.
I can understand the guys' actions to a point Jay. I want to be as unobtrusive as possible too. I'm not as sure about bears, but any excess noise, scent, or human activity can turn a big whitetail into a completely nocturnal animal. They also may have saved their coins, traveled many miles and been on a short hunt for a big bear and didn't want to spook it out of the country. He obviously chose the challenge of taking his bear from the ground, but a tree stand would've been a much safer and efficient option and probably would've saved the younger bear's life.

Most bear would've been gone with the waving he did. Ideally that would've run the bear off and he'd have had more time to hunt his target. I think most of you are missing the speed and power of a bear. If he'd have blasted an air horn and the bear charged, there'd be no time for a shot. If the bear killed him you'd all say "well the idiot blew a horn at him instead of shooting it" :dur:

Skip to 1.17 to see how a Grizzly attacks.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fmB41C9qbqE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First time I saw one really go in Alaska, it impressed the hell out of me.
Over short distances those things can almost compete with the big cats.

And how a warning shot is effective.
That time. I've read of other attacks where warning shots and several body shots were ineffective until the bear finally bled out. Here's a couple of stories of two attacks from the same bear in Wyoming.
"I could hear something crashing through the timber," Scott says, "and I smelled elk on the breeze." He slowed down and quietly closed the distance, looking hard into the shadows. "At that time I really thought I was on a big bull, and I had a touch of elk fever." Reaching a thicket of spruce trees, he stopped to listen and peer inside. "And all I saw was this big grizzly head busting out of there, coming straight at me. I fired one shot from the hip, and then I was caught."
Scott's bullet went high, and the 600-pound boar grizzly grabbed him by the face. "I remember hearing my teeth cracking and my jaw breaking," he says, "but I lucked out and got knocked backward between two trees and wedged there, kind of protected." Scott fumbled for his bear spray, but he grabbed the wrong side of it and couldn't get the safety clip off. "I wasn't very familiar with how it worked, and the bear was huffing and jumping up and down on me. It was like being caught in a tornado." The bear swatted his knees, shredding his pants and leaving long gashes in his legs. It bit his side but got mostly a mouthful of jacket. The attack was over as quickly as it had begun.
Aaron Hughes didn't hear his friend being mauled, but he heard a shot followed by the sound of heavy breathing and heavy feet running "flat out" through the woods. This was his first trip to Wyoming's backcountry, and he didn't know what kind of animal made that sound. But he soon found out. "It came into sight, running straight at me," Hughes says. He raised his Savage bolt-action 7mm magnum. When the bear was 12 steps away he picked up a blur of brown hair through the scope and fired. The bear turned and bit himself where the bullet had hit, stood up, and then dropped to all fours and came rushing at him again. "At nine steps I shot again and knocked him down," Hughes says. This time the bear did not move. Hughes went looking for Scott and found him with another member of their party who had wrapped Scott's face in a T-shirt already soaked through with blood.

There is a vid of some guys hunting brown Bear in Alaska, seemingly well versed experienced hunters. Way off from their position on a rise, a sow with cubs came through and either the mother saw the hunters in the distance or smelled them first, but she quickly charged. She didn't seem to hesitate at all, her protective instincts at work. They had time and did what they could think of to deter her, loud shouting and waving their arms and rifle shots, but she was fixated on those two men and kept charging fast. The lengthy ground she was covering probably most unlikely gave thought to it possibly being a false charge. To their dismay they had no choice but to shoot her, maybe thirty or forty yards off. They seemed rather broken up about it. That big Bear was coming hot before she dropped in a heap. Cubs were wandering around aimlessly.

They had to justify the kill to an official that reviewed the situation, and passed the criteria.

Like I said, bears are hard to read at times, mostly they just want to get away from humans, but there are times when they are outwardly aggressive too and not just sows with cubs. There's been several big boars around my house through the years that would huff and pop their teeth at me or my family and I don't care much for that. But those like the one in the hunting vid, you just don't know what their intentions might be. I hate it for the bear, but.........

A few I been watching grow.

About 8 different 8 bucks on pics so far. Even the new fawns finally showed up.

2 of the bigger ones with basic 8 racks. Cam A time and date off. Have 10 pt running around but smaller. We call it sgt, been he has a 3 stripe scar it appears on his left shoulder.

deergeneraljuly25 012.jpg deerreaper2016 007.jpg

Twin fawns during daytime in evening.

Cam A again with time date off.

twinfawns.jpg twinfawnsa.jpg

A couple of those look pretty well grown to me. That wide one is a brute, obviously an old man. Looks like a really big body too. What is the block, salt, minerals...?

Put out trace mineral blocks to help the deer out. Guess it would help with the bucks antler growth too.

I killed this 52" timber rattler Saturday night on the way home. It's the biggest/longest rattler I've ever killed, the closest being 46" I think. I killed a 42" one right in front of my folks' mailbox several years ago. Last Thursday, a guy I graduated with killed a ~36" rattler right in front of my folks' house. Seems to be rattler country at times.....

That's a whopper. Pretty hide too. How aggressive are they normally? I had a couple of encounters on our Dallas county lease but they didn't act real mean.

That one was nearly into the bushes on the side of the road when I saw him. I backed up, and by the time I had gotten out of the truck, he was out of the road, and into the grass/brush. It was so dark I could barely see him, so I popped him with a 9mm hollow point, then drug him out into the road with the claws of my hammer and smacked him on the head to finish him. He rattled at me a couple of times, but I didn't give him time to threaten much.

It was about 400 yards from my house, and I kill any poisonous snake within a mile of my house. I don't care to have my kids bitten by a snake. My dad was bitten when he was about 10. Not a happy experience.

Just going back to the bears here hopefully im not beating a dead horse
When a bear is false charging it will be jaw clacking and snarling with drool flying everywhere it looks pretty mean and scary
When its a predatory or an attack charge the bear is gonna be hyper focused on its target ears folded back and its gonna be quiet almost like its stalking you thats when u need to put it down. It was hard to read what the bear was up to in that video.
Bears move extremely fast they can take off at a meter a sec and sustain speeds of 30mph
50% of bear encounters with people where the person has a gun ends with an injury and i think its like 5% of bear encounters where the person has bear spray end with an injury

I know here in BC when you shoot something like deer moose elk the gun shot is a dinner bell for the big predators

Back