The Official Random Video Thread!

Oh, it was a hoot alright. The aircraft would return shot up, get repaired, and head out again. Night ops were the coolest - the afterburners kicking in were stupendous!

A hectic time in Vietnam. The commies made territory into the south a hell of a lot faster than anyone ever expected, and the US said they were basically out of the thing, and abandoned a lot of loyal friends.

Just curious, on a carrier, there must be places where on your free time you can relax and socialize. Are those places segregated by rank or something, or can grunts hang out with pilots and higher ranking officers and such?

It's an official rule - officers weren't supposed to fraternize with the NCO's, the enlisted men. Each had their own clubs and the two didn't mix. On a carrier, you work 12 hours plus a day, 7 days a week. You didn't do much more when you got off other than eat, shower, and relax in your bunk for a bit, watch a bit of television.

It was a great adventure for a 17 year old me.

Did any of the people being evacuated get taken to the Enterprise? Films of those last few days show huge panic and all kinds of wild things going on. They were pushing helis into the sea off carrier decks because of lack of room. South Vietnamese pilots were stealing ones they could get hold of and trying to escape, plus all the people being ferried out. Looked like a madhouse, people screaming and running about. That would have been something to see too, the last stages of a terrible conflict.

All that stuff happened on the Hancock, an old carrier that was being used as a taxi. We provided air support while the Hancock did the ferrying. There was talk at first of the Enterprise being the taxi, but no, that didn't happen. As being part of the air wing, if it woulda happened, we woulda been stationed in the Phillipines... which woulda been GREAT! Instead, we worked 24 hour days instead. I learned to sleep anywhere on anything.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ybVb3t560oY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jay, there is a guy about 15 miles from me that has a WM1000. It can cut up to 67" between the guide rollers. They aren't remote control, although my Wood-Mizer is wireless, but it does have a platform that you can stand on that rides with the head. Not portable, you bolt the tracks to a concrete pad. www.berkshireproducts.com.

Uhhhhhhhhh...

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/60996188" width="500" height="281" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

I want one!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hD35wLRdvjo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back