The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 285K
Sorry about Penny, Deva. I remember your first mentioning her. A memorable dog. Three weeks to be devastated by disease like that, it's hard to imagine. :(

Give them the best life you can and mourn when they die.
Not much else to do.
It is truly a design flaw that our dogs' lives are so much shorter than ours.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PhvHpf_mUvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh shit, Deva. I am really sorry. Penny looked like she was bad ass.

That aint no shit Stig. I spent 17 years with Biscuit. I still hate myself for putting her down last winter. Yeah, I know it was the right thing, but I am gonna hate myself anyway.

A fellow is going to give me a English Sheppard pup sometime this spring, I guess its time.

Sorry again.

Thanks Guys, She was the best.

Onwars and upwards, that's life......

The weirdest thing is my 6 yr old boy LOVED this dog and grew up with it since birth.....
Completely unfazed, doesn't want to talk or acknowledge her being gone. Anyhoo.

He'll probably pick his own time to acknowledge his friends passing.

Might be he is just going through the phases of mourning at his own speed and ability, as we all do.

Confronting mortality at 6 takes a generous amount of thought. I still remember being 7 and running to the neighbor's because Grandma wouldn't wake up...she passed away of a heart attack while babysitting us kids. quick unexpected losses can be a bit of a shock.

Yeah. You're right....

Watching Gma at 7 heart attack would be a serious shock. Wow.

Probably was a shock for him to watch the vet put Penny down. We all said our goodbyes together. I've never cried over a dang dog before.

I was the oldest. We didn't really understand what happened until Mom and Dad told us later. She passed laying on the couch...I thought she was asleep and wouldn't wake up.

It seems to hit the kids at a later date. The grief may not manifest itself in the way that we would expect either. It may come about as defiance, rudeness, being unmotivated, getting in trouble in school, nearly anything.

Kids dont necessarily grieve the same way we do. Not to alarm you Deva, just thought I would share what I have found.

I cried when Biscuit closed her eyes, shit, the Vet even teared up.

Sorry to read about Penny.

Not quite a mutt but this is Sadie who has become a member of this house.
6d2a1a19954af73eb5458e843bb11cf6.jpg

Working on "Trees are cool" for vocabulary lessons ;)

I thought she was a "prop" bird...a one time picture...didn't know she was yours.

Get some video of her talking some time.

I have for 7 years visited with her and I'm the only person she hasn't bit. Her prior owner kept calling me and asking when I was going to take her, he went in to the VA to have the rest of his toes removed (diabetes)
She is still settling in and I will get her talking for ya Gary!

So sorry to read of Penny's passing, Deva. Sounds fairly similar to Jasper's rapid illness. I expect he was waiting there inside the gate to dog Valhalla, ready to show her where the good stuff is stashed :).

Does Sadie know not to poop on your shoulder? I liked to walk around with my crow on my shoulder, but they poop a lot.

Thanks Burnham. Jasper was one amazing dog as well. Yeah I'm sure she had some welcoming up there....many friends before hand.

That's right....Hank!

Back