The RIP Thread...

yeah. One of the best musician/singers I've ever had the privilege of hanging & picking with.

He was getting ready to go out performing again and had asked me to play bass and another old friend/bandmate of mine to play guitar, then he got too sick to play.

Man, I liked Kenny Rogers. I'm not a big fan of country music aside from some specific artists, but he was one the guys I liked. RIP

Even though I was a raver and bang into Drum and Base, there are certain things from my early days that have stuck with me.

Holidays in the 70’s and 80’s we’re driving affairs around the UK. Kenny Rogers, Jonny Cash, Willie Nelson and pals were always playing from the cassette player if my dad had his choice. Queen and the Rolling Stones were some of my mother’s choices. Whenever I hear them i am transported into the back of a Ford Capri and driving around Scotland or Wales, circa 1980.

It was either that or TMS. Test Match Special - that is cricket for you baseball lovers.

Sounds like your old man had my tastes in country. If someone asked me who I liked, those are the three names I'd give :^)

Yeah, I guess they made an impact.

I have a very eclectic taste in music. Favourite genres are rave and Jungle. Yet my favourite band is the Grateful Dead.

Mick, I just watched the Glastonbury set from 2013. He had the audience right in his palm. Great performance from a true pro with a great sense of humour and charisma.

RIP

It also made me realise I haven’t seen the Big Lebowski for years. I thinkI will have to educate Haakon later today on the finer nuances of being ‘The dude’.

That's cool info re Kenny Rogers.

Kirk Douglas was a savage afaik. Part of the reason he lived to 103.

Jazz guitarist Bucky Pizzarelli from covid-19. He was old, and had other health problems, but still...

Got to see him a few years back. One of the best shows I've ever seen. He was supposed to play 40min but was on stage more than 2hrs. So glad we got to see him when we did. We'd be seeing him again at merlefest at the end of the month.

Last edited:
Back