The RIP Thread...

That was a crazy fish. What was the movie about that blackfish? Or something?

Pretty nuts that he got three people during captivity. The second one I think it was, was a drunk or something that broke in after hours and somehow ended up in tilikums breeding tank and then he had the body draped over him in the morning like a trophy. Eerie.

A zoo is a bittersweet place IMO. Nice for the public to see critters they normally wouldn't but at the same time animals don't belong behind bars.

That was a crazy fish. What was the movie about that blackfish? Or something?

I think it was about orcas in captivity and the theme was that its a bad thing. Crazy stories about orcas being captured in the wild for the zoos. They went with maximum unwillingness.

I'm with the folks who think orcas in captivity is wrong. But I did once go to Sea World Orlando and saw the show, before all this controversy was widely known, and I have to say the show was freaking awesome. If the orcas were unhappy, you couldn't tell it watching them from the audience.

But yeah, reading about the whole situation, it aint wise to have them in captivity.

Squish, are you near the BC coast, have you ever seen one?

I'm not near the coast now, but I spent a lot of years working down there. I've seen orcas many times over the years. Once on the ferry from Rupert to the charlottes we had a pod swim with the ferry for awhile, that was super cool. That ferry is pretty wide open ocean, in the middle area of it you can't see land for awhile.

Saw a bunch of them while riding the ferry from Bremerton to Seattle once.

I looked over and said, shit, there's some whales. Christ, it was like Elvis had come back from the dead. Those people lost their damn minds!

I had seen them in books and on tv before........did not see any reason to flip out over it.

I spent a lot of time in, on, and around the ocean when I worked down there for about seven years. A totally alien environment to a inlander like me. A couple camps I worked at were literally floating bunkhouses. You slept right on the ocean.

I've surfed with sea lions, been charged in a small boat by sea lions, seen a octopus, experienced riptide, sliced my foot on barnacles, road through crazy stormy seas in all manner of water transport, and been scared out of my whits countless times and still lived on to tell the tale!

Ocean, a giant salty lake that seems ready to rise up and pluck your life in an instant if it so feels like it.

One of the wildest moments of my life was being on the westcoast of Vancouver island on a surfboard, holding onto kelp to stop from being drug out to sea while waiting for 'sets' of surfable waves to come in. And while waiting in those kelp beds holding on for dear life, realizing how far in over my head I was, like 80 feet away grey whales start to surface.

Out in water I had no business being in with experienced dudes who surfed all their lives and all over the world. Made the 'popular' breaks I had played around at to that point seem like pretty tame stuff.

I've been face to face with a 6, 7 foot barracuda while snorkeling around offshore rigs.

Whutta rush!

The ocean it's serious business right! I was a strong lake and river swimmer. Lessons all my youth. Toodling around in the ocean was a real eye opener to me. Up here it's full wet suit, otherwise you seize up after awhile. Maybe bareable for a short period on a hot summer day, but not long. I swam/surfed lots in the winter up here. That's when we get the surf. Cold, dark, heavy water. Not to mention what can be lurking below the surface!

I'd do it again though!

I don't know what I'd do if I was face to face with a barracuda. I snorkelled a bit in Mexico years back but luckily just saw friendly critters/fish.

I got out of the water ASAP.

I wasn't so much afraid of it attacking me as much as I was worried about it sampling a tattoo.

I read that somewhere... they went for small stuff like that, not a whole human.

A bait thing...

Back