The RIP Thread...

One more reason to not have tats. The possibility of attracting a barracuda attack. Makes perfect sense to me.

It's face was three feet away from mine.

I could see the teeth and the jaws opening/closing...

Quite a sight!

Ive seen barracuda snorkeling. Their body stripes are awesome to behold, and they give off a palpable attitude, they are gangsters thru and thru.

3' feet away would be crazy!!!

You stole my story, MB. A friend and I were on scuba in the Keys. I was leading the way around a brain coral, big one, maybe 15 feet diameter.

As I rounded a corner I was face to face, about 4-5 feet away from a 3-4 foot barracuda. I stopped...my buddy didn't see my tail lights. He plowed into me and pushed me up nose to nose with the cuda...probably 12-18". I, too, could see the jaws/teeth working, pumping water thru his gills. It is a very malevolent sight.

I 'cussed Ricky a blue streak when we got back to the boat. Of course, he thought it was funny as hell. What an A-hole...I loved him!

It looked pretty much like this:

images

Not so long ago a local diver here met up with a great white. They recovered the fellows torso. A week later his head was found on Ten Mile Beach by some tourists about 2 miles south of where the incident occurred.

I snorkeled in these waters for about 6 years and it never comfortable for me. Cold, murky, churning swells tossing me around. That was a good days.

Poor visibility is no good at all

40 seconds in is a good point to start

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-mkIgoscw7Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The shark gave him a look over, I think if it wanted to eat him it would have. Seems like he should have held off releasing his spear until the shark was really zeroing in, not turning away. I mean if some logic could prevail at such a moment.

The title of the vid could be interpreted as "click bait" I agree but I think its highly likely the shark was in feeding mode. Great whites are known to sometimes be cautions/inquisitive before taking a kill as a self preservation strategy. Truly terrifying animals.

Swam next to a cuda off Cozumel while scuba. Frightening looking about 3' long thing with nasty teeth... We just eyed one another and kept swimming. Probably about as curious about each other as anything.
You come to realise in the big blue, how lower on the food chain you really are in that environment.

Cool shark vids. It seems to me that if you get eaten by a shark, you won't know he's anywhere near until he's on you. Humans must look ultra clumsy in the water to a shark.

There's been some diver deaths along the Cali north coast where the shark must have come out of nowhere. Two buddies diving and when one is facing away from the other for awhile then turns around, his buddy is gone except for a cloud of blood. A Great White probably. I dove those waters a lot for abalone. Never saw a shark myself, but I knew some people that did. One described a Great White that he saw as a couple fifty gallon drums leisurely kicking about. Often in murky waters with a long kick out from the beach, and a slow surface kick in with the heavy abs in a net within an inner tube in a Sea Lion's habitat. Often flopping about in the surge. I didn't much worry about sharks, must have been crazy. Sometimes wonder if one ever looked me over. Breaded and fried Abalone is mighty tasty though, and the big reds have a lot of flesh in them.

I worked on a boat with divers in the gulf. They had no fear of sharks whatsoever. That was what prompted me to snorkel freely around the rigs. The sharks were more scared of the divers.

Karen and I were snorkeling near the reef off one of the keys in Florida, and she was collecting shells. Found a sparkly little piece of one, decided not to keep it and she 'tossed it aside, right next to me. Her hand had barely left the shell and it reflected sunlight as it started to tumble back to the ocean floor. A 'cuda was there in a flash. Gave me a shock as it stopped about three inches from my mask.

Back