Leaners

• Thread starter Greenhorn
  • Start date
  • Replies 42
  • Views 5K
So... I did it !:rockon:Yes !
Nothing glorious, just a small maple leaning toward a building. But slowly and carefully, I managed to make my body and my mind come to an agreement. At least this time.
A good little exercise, bucking it down with the ms150 (no massive changes in my balance), with some variations (slight) in the lean.
I wasn't too stressed, more mindful, so I guess there is some hope.:D
I'm looking now for the next step, a bit more difficult.

Sometimes, that mind part can be a bit tricky...

Man glad to hear I am not the only one. I had an old 100 + pine 20" in diameter at 60' with part of the top dead that leaned right over another tree they wanted to keep. I made angled cuts with a wedge to the side for some of lower ones. Dbh was about 32"-36".Here is a picture near the top IMG_3163.jpg IMG_3163.jpg

Ha, doglegs... I remember back in the day before safer climbing methods existed, I climbed up this probably 75' cherry that had several gnarly doglegs to climb thru, got to the top ready to tie in and get to work.....no climbing line. There it was wayyyy down there piled at the base of the tree because I, a bit preoccupied by the sight of those doglegs, forgot to clip it to saddle.:whine:

That picture didn't do any justice. It was actually leaning much more with the dog legs. They had a Golden Rain tree they wanted to save. I managed to prune a nice size branch off! No charge :D

Oh yeah Jerry PITA it was for sure especially since it was 95 degrees and like 90% humidity :X

Those doglegs looked terrible man, awesome job. Here's the tree that prompted me to dig up this thread, finally had a weather and other stuff going on window and finished her up today, was a clump of leaners, one dead and crispy, took me wayyyyyy too long but I'm fat and out of shape, and went without incident. Very windy today, but powered thru it and I'm happy it's over. All of them were covered with poison ivy to the tips. Ew

90664.jpg
90667.jpg

And as requested George, redneck capstan winch thing. I need to sandblast and paint it, but it works great. Planning on reworking the fairlead to add a roller, and bring it out a bit. As is its slightly too far back, adding extra friction. You have to tail the winch, but it is better than alternatives. And i spent the extra 2500 bucks on beer lol
90665.jpg
90669.jpg
90668.jpg

Thats sweet man, it will look great all painted up.What color you thinking?I think some kind of hiziz!!
2500 that's a lot of beer!!:P

I don't care what color really as I'm partially colorblind (and it's a tool designed to be used and abused), but that epoxy paint is the shit if you ever need to paint something to last. It's almost as hard as a powder coat. But honestly, I'll probably have it hot dipped galvanized when i get some more stuff that needs it too. It's pretty cheap and lasts damn near forever, you just want to make sure you never have to weld on it ever again lol. I've left it outside a bunch, that's why it's so rusty, just surface rust tho, and worse case scenario I'll just make a new stand for it, only took a few hours to fab up the first time, and have a pretty healthy scrap pile. I have a few more winches i bought, just waiting for a job that needs 2 of em lol

Lol you should have seen my face the first time i used it, i knew immediately that it would help me so much. I then promptly ran an extension cord to the base of the tree and had my ground guys winch me up the tree with a drill (backed up of course).

Back