Cone picking pics for Bounce

That happens to the orchard trees also but not as severe probably because of the shorter distance. I have seen it shake the leaves into knots and break off healthy fruit wood. Takes care of any deadwood. Oh well, another million dollar idea down the drain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I was more skeered in the tops doing scion collection. Going up there in winter conditions presented a few other challenges!

That is the flat out truth, Russell. Just getting to the trees was a battle...snowmobile trailers hauled over un-plowed roads, then snomo in back country, then climb in snow, ice, wind...hellatious bad conditions. Glad I'm done with that task, hope to never do the like again.

Good to read ya, hope all is well down in your little hidehole. Did you ever get that parts washer up and operational?

Bump! I noticed that a Guest was checking out this old thread in the Who's Online page...don't know how they even found it. But I opened it up, for old times sake. The pictures were no longer with it, but I've added them back, 'twas only five of them.

There are a couple of links to other even older threads where the FS self-belay system we use when working the small wood are described...those no longer work, unfortunately. If we want to go through describing that system again, just ask.

Anyway, thought some of our newer members might like to check this one out.

I seem to remember you saying that you set a anchor then added protection as you went higher. That way if something broke out you only fell to your last piece of pro. Similar to rock climbing. I don't remember the entire jist of the system but I am one that would like to hear again the way you do that.

I seem to remember you saying that you set a anchor then added protection as you went higher. That way if something broke out you only fell to your last piece of pro. Similar to rock climbing. I don't remember the entire jist of the system but I am one that would like to hear again the way you do that.

Pete, you have the general picture accurately. The FS system for self-belay is called the "4-inch tie in". The idea is that there is a bole diameter in most western conifers that is pretty immune to breaking out from the effects of a climber above that point...i.e. 4 inches. That's your minimum diameter to consider a bomb proof anchor point. Some species, or in some conditions, you'd elect to go bigger, but never smaller.

So you climb by whatever combination of techniques is appropriate to that bole diameter. You have taken with you your 4-inch tie-in system...usually about 40 feet of 11mm fully dynamic climbing rope, about 6 slings each with a triple action biner, and prussik loop.

Under a whorl at +4 inch bole diameter, tie off one end of the belay rope around the stem, throw a prussik on it with the loop, and clip it into the center point of your saddle with a life support biner. Tie a good stopper knot on the other end of the belay rope. Advance the prussik 3 feet or so up the belay rope.

Climb no more than 3 feet, place a sling in a basket hitch above a whorl, and clip a tri-act biner into the legs of the sling and run the belay rope through the biner. Make sure you've advanced the prussik above the biner. Descending, never forget to bring the prussik down with you as you go, otherwise way too much slack developes for adequate protection.

The 3 foot figure keeps you from exposing yourself to a fall of over 6 feet, per OSHA.

Repeat until you run out of tree :). If you break the top out, you won't enjoy it, but you also won't hit the ground. I personally know of two real-life instances where the climbers insist that this system saved their lives when the tree top failed under them while picking cones.

Use a lanyard to assist positioning, and to free your hands to install and remove the self-belay protection points...but always remember that the lanyard does not protect you from a fall if you don't have the self belay in place and you break out the top you are lanyarded to. Once above the anchor point, never disconnect the belay system from your harness.

You can do a similar thing with your DRT system if you need to climb above your tie-in, but you need to rig a sling to keep your life line in it's crotch or on it's limb. Excess friction can build up pretty quickly as you add protection points, and make it much more difficult to work in than the 4-inch tie in, but it's a good trick to have in your bag.

Last edited:
Wish the self belay systems links still worked... I think I have it pictured in my head right and used it or something like it a couple times in the past when the tops felt shaky on some dead pines I once did .... I had a few behind me every 3 foot.

Edit.. looks like you were typing it as I was typing.. LOL
I used SRT for my climb system on the belay system

I reckon the rest of you can look, too :). These were put up in one of the old versions of the THouse, so many of you may have seen them before.

Sean and I were in chat, and he asked about cone picking. These were taken in the pre-digital days, 1999 I think. The first 3 are me, the last two are my climbing partner, who is my wife :D.
That is crazy small!:occasion5:

Wish the self belay systems links still worked... I think I have it pictured in my head right and used it or something like it a couple times in the past when the tops felt shaky on some dead pines I once did .... I had a few behind me every 3 foot.

Edit.. looks like you were typing it as I was typing.. LOL
I used SRT for my climb system on the belay system
Try looking at it like this. The end of a climb line is tied off below you and you climb up using your saddle as a block if you will, but it is a hitch or grigri or some other fall arrest device. What's recommended or approved I have no idea. Every so often you use a sling and biner as said before a triact around the stem and pull a bight of rope up between your hitch and the tied off end of your climb line and clip in. When you are at the next point where you clip in you will only fall twice the distance you are above your last clip in point. I would also think the top you are tied into comes along for the ride with you if it goes. So I would say keep the clip in points together when climbing a closet pole. I have never done this kind of work but am going off years of rock climbing and that's how I would do it.

Bump...this was a fun one, saw a guest on this thread tonight and decided "what the hey"...bring it forward again :D.

Getting up into really skinny tops is out of the normal range of activity for most arbs...this is different, for sure.

Cool thing is, with the new SRT hybrids, you can just use carabiners to cinch your line as you lead climb every 3 feet, omitting loop runners. I'll see about taking some pictures next time. You just sort of girth hitch a bight of rope and lock with the crab.

We advised against that technique Stephen, because of the potential side load torque on the biner against smaller diameter tops, which is mostly where we used this self belay system. If you go that route, maybe choose a steel biner.

The other, and perhaps greater advantage was decreasing the fall factor if you do take a fall/have a top break out. The belay line will run thoughout the whole deployed length with my system, but not if you cinch it at each anchor point.

:thumbup:

We always need to clarify these details for the children listening behind the kitchen door, ya know?
:D

Back