Cone picking pics for Bounce

Bump...this was a fun one, saw a guest on this thread tonight and decided "what the hey"...bring it forward again :D.

Thanks for bumping this thread, Burnham. It is an interesting read. I appreciate the rundown on the self-belay system, if I'm using the correct terminology.

I used to get a bit of flak over the purchase of my first ever climbing rope, in that I'd purchased a dynamic rope rather than a more traditional arborist's rope. I just did this out of ignorance, and just from reading the rope specs and thinking that having the rope itself absorbing a lot of the shock from a potential fall would be a good thing. So now I don't feel quite so dumb, knowing the forest service has a bit of use for the stuff. I'm still such a new and infrequent climber that that original dynamic rope is still in good condition and still in service. I never had a problem with it at all for tree work; I just had to load it up with my weight before starting longer ascents, which took most of the bounce out of the experience. Mamut rope, it is. Beautiful stuff, rated for more than 10 falls before needing to be retired. To me, it always meant that the rope would be less likely to cause a breakout of a support point.

Thanks again for reviving this thread.

Tim

We do this in the Forest Service and use what is called "4 inch tie in" is that what you are doing? Set anchors every couple of feet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We do this in the Forest Service and use what is called "4 inch tie in" is that what you are doing? Set anchors every couple of feet?
Yessir, you are correct. Set an anchor no more than every three feet apart, to keep fall exposure to no more than 6 feet...per OSHA standard.

I'm retired now, but was USFS for 32 years, was assigned to the USFS Climbing Program Technical Advisory Group from it's inception in 2000, and served as R6 Tree Climbing program coordinator from 2006 until I retired in 2012.

Where are you located? I may well know either you personally, or more likely your certifying instructor :).

I stayed outta this thread thinkin it was about pickin up traffic control cones.

What a dope!

You du man Burnham!

Great thread n great pics.

Thanks for revivin it.

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Same as right now, pretty much...a little under 150, naked weight. A little more muscle then, a little more fat now :D.

Yeah, I had the distinct impression you were a munchkin like me, at 160.

I too have done the tie in below me in four inch wood, with no formal training though, pure self preservation.

Jomo

The treadmill broke but, since I hit 60 I don't GAS about any of that stuff anymore. It was like a switch was thrown...

I'm about 20, 25 pounds overweight right now.

The longer you wait, the harder it'll be to lose that weight.

I climb real slow like a tree sloth these days, take a little more time to look around, solo, slow n deliberate, a bit like old fogey yoga.

Hope to do it till I die.

Use it or lose it's no fiction brothers.

It helps having clients willing to indulge your sorry azz too.

Jomo

Back