Jerry Beranek's Fundamentals

Thats great Willard, what did the wife say?:D

Jack, I can't imagine Jerry's books being read in a "soft feminine voice" :lol:

Thats great Willard, what did the wife say?:D

Jack, I can't imagine Jerry's books being read in a "soft feminine voice" :lol:

I've been waiting ...
Somehow, I knew YOU were gonna hit me with that ... it would be hilarious to listen to, wouldn't it ... :lol:

And YES, great story, Willard!

What I like about the Fundamentals is that it isn't just a study about something, it is also entertaining reading. I guess it's the way the words are put together. In the vein of a Hardy Boy's novel, what is he going to do next? :/:

In some of my latter works I have used text-to-speech programs to proof the writing. Specifically the "Read Aloud" function in Adobe Acorbat. You would be surprised just how many errors a writer reads over in their text. Having it 'read aloud' and listening to it a writer can catch up to 90% of their spelling and grammar errors. It's really a great tool.

As far as the voices go in the speech programs there is a lot to be desired, but the voices are getting better all the time.

I learned how to add pauses and inflections to the read aloud programs to make them sound more natural. I even considered using speech programs in lieu of using my own voice in videos, but the software is just not that good yet, and it would be a real cop out for me to do that.

I'm no David Attenborough, but I try my best. My biggest handicap is getting the script right and having a sound proof room to record in. The actual reading is really not that difficult. Though it did take some getting use to hearing myself speak. I really didn't like the sound of my own voice, but at the cost of having someone or some outfit do it for me I really had no choice but do it myself.

It was a big and necessary step to take. And a tough one to come to terms with in the beginning.

Great story Willard!

Jerry, I really like your narration in WC vol2, it is a one of a kind style. It is the aural equivalent of the writing in High Climbers.

Jer, what are "propagation" books you mentioned a few posts earlier?

I even considered using speech programs in lieu of using my own voice in videos, but the software is just not that good yet, and it would be a real cop out for me to do that.

I'm no David Attenborough, but I try my best.

Heaven forbid! Your voice is perfect for the subject matter and has become synonymous with tree work. It is Iconic!

(Got the 88 Video last week. Check your PM's brother.)

Ohhhh that 88 video was gold for me. I worked a Washington swing yarder only once, I'm not sure if it was a 88 or not. I also worked with a eaglet carriage like the one on that Christy for years, the thump of that one lunger diesel that runs the slack puller in it really brought back some memories. Hell the whole thing did. Seeing those few runaways on there and that one moment caught where the hooktenders are in to start hooking and the rigging starts dancing man that stuff still makes my hair stand-up.

Top shelf Jerry you really made my day with that one, thanks so much for your generosity.

I was the same when I got it though I worked on a 188. We used a maki slack kicker on our little yarders, sounds the same though. Duetz diesels in them, sounds like that eagle carriage. 188 was the same as Jerry covered on the 88, man the splicing we did on all that Korean cable!

Willie, did you ever have the haul back lines twist and kink up like they in the vid near the end? There's got to be a way around to keeping that from happening. Least so severely. I figured a swivel would help but was told that it's not a total cure.

Seeing all that cable kink like that and having to redo the line must be a real PITA. I loved seeing the woods splice though in the video. Being a splicer, I thought that was real cool, though I've never spliced wire rope.

Loved that story too Willard. Reminds me of when I'm starting my woodstove in the morning and putting the newspaper in first. I always seem to see something that I want to read and end up sometimes not putting that piece of the newspaper in the fire, but sitting down on the wood box and going through it, then I have to rush to get out the door.

Ha, first thing I like to do when i get packages from the states, like an ebay purchase, is read the newspaper if it has been used for packing material. It can be a nice mix of different parts of the issue, maybe find out who got married in some hick town in Colorado. Less interested in the obits.

I do the same thing when my friends in California send me a holiday package for x-mas.

The news from Arcata is almost as interesting as the package itself.

The car prices just kill me!

We have a 180% tax on cars here.

BUMP for this thread.

It been 5 years since anyone posted on this thread. In that time, I can't even begin to think how many times I looked up something in "The Book." IMO, Still the best tree book out there!

Ha, I looked up Coos Bay cut yesterday. It's the bible fo sho.

Same here Butch. I own 2. One I use to highlight and keep notes on tips and techniques. The other is my original 1990's hardcover with dust jacket still on it that I bought from Bailey's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed, the best there is...and likely ever to be. Until Jer gets a revision out, that is :).

Back