Jerry Beranek's Fundamentals

If I had studied my textbooks in school like I did Jerry's book, I'd probably be a doctor or a professor.... Heaven forbid a lawyer.

Read my copy so much, it's starting to fall apart ... gonna have buy another soon ... Thanks, Jerry!!!

Thanks, all. The book needs serious updates in the climbing tools and techniques chapters. Much has been developed in that since Fundamentals first came out. And I will do an update for those chapters in due time here.

There are still hard bound editions available though. If better binding is wanted for those that would like it.

again, thanks

Jerry,

I have a question for you, please. In the picture below from your book, on page 29, you show an item (at the arrow) I'd like to know more about. I can think of many occasions over the years where it would have been very useful. But, I can't find one ... I'm not even sure what to search for (i.e., google). What can you tell me about it?

Thanks, Jack.

RIGGING SLIDE? - FUNDAMENTALS OF GENERAL TREE WORK (p29) 500x784.jpg

Jerry,

I have a question for you, please. In the picture below from your book, on page 29, you show an item (at the arrow) I'd like to know more about. I can think of many occasions over the years where it would have been very useful. But, I can't find one ... I'm not even sure what to search for (i.e., google). What can you tell me about it?

Thanks, Jack.

View attachment 37871
I would like to know the same.
For all of you guys don't forget about High Climbers and Timber Fallers another fantastic read.

That is what was called a thimble, at the time. Back in the 80's the utility company here, PG&E, used the device for terminating ACSR conductor in pole line construction. Later the devices were phased out in lieu of newer terminations. And when that time came I could procure as many of the obsolete items as I felt I could use. Otherwise those things all went into the scrap bin. I took these thimbles and polished the inside radius for rope to slide. 10,000 lb test they were and of high test forged aluminum. Why see them go to scrap?

In one scenario the thimble acted like a crotch to run a rigging line through. In another it acted like a false crotch for a tie-in. And in another it was a great slide for a tag line to run through. In either case it added just enough friction that was actually better that using a block. Wear on the rope was negligible.

Sometimes we need just a little bit of friction for better and smoother rope control. And the thimble did just that.

I'm surprised this day and age that such a device hasn't caught on in the mainstream.

Most people believe that ropes must always run through blocks.

Thanks Jerry. Those are just the uses I had in mind for it. Apparently they're still available:

Thimble clevises - MacLean Power Systems

and ... in many forms:

images

I give myself credit, I thought it was a thimble, but upon searching the web, nothing showed. Phased out explains that. Jerry reminds me of Felix the Cat.

You da man Jerry! I found something similar in the Skookum catalog and it was called a choker slide or something to that affect.

That looks like the ones PG&E used alright. The one pictured in the fundamentals actually had a lug for attaching a chain hoist too draw on the conductors. I cut it off and polish out the rough edges.

Thanks, all. The book needs serious updates in the climbing tools and techniques chapters. Much has been developed in that since Fundamentals first came out. And I will do an update for those chapters in due time here.

There are still hard bound editions available though. If better binding is wanted for those that would like it.

again, thanks

Now there is a second edition book that will definitely be worth getting. Can't wait to see that one Jer! I still have one of the first hard cover copies that Bailey's put out years ago, still have the book protector cover that came with it too. Great book to read over and over again.

again, thanks

Hey Jerry, here's a thought ... when you do a second edition ... how about an E-book edition? That'd be way cool!!!

E books are cool and all, but not for this guy personally I spent enough time on the puter and get tired of it. I like books and they are a dying breed as it is and they don't consume fossile fuels to make once they are printed unlike a puter.

Yeah, E books are neat, but there is still something about sitting down with a good book and being able to turn those pages by hand that I will always love.

Please, don't get me wrong ... I LOVE real pages as much as anyone ... BUUUT ... I love my MacBook, too ...
I'd have to buy both!!! :big-dance2:

And ... YES, you can underline & highlight some eBooks and search and save and quote and share and ... turn pages

edit: oh, yeah ... they'll even read themselves to you in a soft feminine voice, if you like ... :big-wink:

Yeah, E books are neat, but there is still something about sitting down with a good book and being able to turn those pages by hand that I will always love.
I second that Chris. I have a full set of Encyclopaedia Britannica in my office. I bought these books about 30 yrs ago, they are leather covered, gold flake edges, paid well over a couple of grand for them way back then.
Recently my wife kept nagging me to throw them out, saying they take up space and all the info I need is on the computer. So I boxed them up one day, threw them in my dump trailer and covered them with chips on that days jobs. At the public landfill I dump the load on the ground but went to the trouble of digging out the boxes and piling them off to the side thinking someone would take them home.
Next day the books are still sitting there. I take out a volume and open it up to section on aviation. I started reading and looking at the diagrahms, it got so interesting I had to sit down on a pile of chips and finish the page. I just experienced a nice relaxing good feel moment.

So I packed them up and today they are still on the shelves in my office.:lol:

Yeah great "short story", Willard.

My propagation text books were very important to me even long after the schooling. Though highly technical in nature I could easily get lost in them for hours at a time.

Back