Jerry Beranek's Fundamentals

But it looks to me like my definition of "large" falls pretty far short of Jerry's :) . Same goes for his "medium"...that equals my "large"...if I'm lucky. A Beranek "small" is still a pretty good sized stem, for most people.

Anyway, a fine piece of work, and one that no tree man or woman should fail to have in their personal library.

Thanks, Jerry.

HA! I thought the exact same thing when I read it! I was thinking, "my 'big' trees are the sticks Jerry falls his 'big' ones on top of!"

Helluva book in all respects.

he was telling me there was 3 men on each end of a 9'6" crosscut, and they used their belts to pull the saw back and forth as they couldnt use the handles!

Holy crap! I'd be way too impatient to finish something like that.

I've been working in the woods thinning plots out, and an old man has been down there every day watching, with his German Shepherd. During the breaks, we got talking. He started out many years ago felling with cross-cuts and axes. The biggest tree he remembered felling (with cross-cut) was about 9feet diameter. he was telling me there was 3 men on each end of a 9'6" crosscut, and they used their belts to pull the saw back and forth as they couldnt use the handles! He told many stories about the old days of horse logging, and reckoned that it was easier back then than it is now!! The reason he gave was "then you could only work to the speed of the horse, or the cross-cut, these days machinery dictates your work speed, far harder"
This old guy is 80odd years old, still weilding a saw every day, throwing cord onto his truck. Hope to get some more yarns out of him next week.
along this line--sure would be nice if could sit down and get him to talking in front of a vcr to record some of history----

Dang man it's a must have no doubt about it. There's no way you could read that book and not pick up a few things. I don't care who you are.

Just the pictures alone are worth getting the book.That is a part of this country and a method of working big timber only a hand full of us will ever see and fewer ever work.

Just the pictures alone are worth getting the book.That is a part of this country and a method of working big timber only a hand full of us will ever see and fewer ever work.

There's a fullness that comes through in Gerry's books from his talents both behind the lens and in front of a saw. That's a pretty rare thing.
He's generous about autographing copies of his books, too ...if'n you ask 'im !
;)

There is only one book like it.

Gerry has a knack to turn the complex subject of tree work into an orderly, easy to read book.

The pictures that occompany the text demonstrate the book is written by a tree practitioner rather than an academic. I continue to enjoy your book, thanks Gerry.

Regards

Graeme McMahon

Got the book as a christmas present to my self last year,my favourite present!

It's always an honor to receive compliments from those in the industry like yourselves. The time spent to see "Fundamentals" to print has most certainly proven to be time well spent.

As professionals in this field we all contribute in our own unique ways. Butch's Tree House has been a good platform to share our experiences and learn from others. And what a feast for the eyes!

Graeme, you continue to break through the envelope by doing jobs in your area that pale all others around the world. And you do it with a style of bravado and straight forward simplicity. It's easy to tell your crew has the highest respect and trust, and they all know their job.

Boy I just got to make it down there someday. Put that on my bucket list.

Been pretty busy. I just got a house. Built in 1867. It's a ways from town & at present I have no interweb connection. I am looking into it. A wireless connection wont work with out a signal repeater. Looks like I might have to go satellite
I am at my folks house this weekend.

I dont know yet. Oh I am sure I catch it some time. Looks like a cool show

Just ordered my second copy of Jerry's Fundamentals book.

Lent my original (which was one of the first from Bailey's years ago) one out to a friend and it came back ripped! Pissed me off.

If you don't have this book yet, BUY IT NOW. It is still the bible of tree books out there.

I'm going through Jer's book again (I've done this a countless number of times before) in conjunction with watching the Working Climber Series DVD's. The two really go hand-in-hand.

Thanks again Jer for all your hard work!

Back