Jerry Beranek's Fundamentals

It's been a great way of life this tree business. Charly Pottorff has said for years, "We have a common bond, no matter where we come from."

Today the internet has brought together.

What a way to share.

Orderd the book tonight been planning on it for quite a while. High climbers and timber fallers and the videos are next on the list. Thanks for sharing your knowladge and colorful career with us Gerry

Fundamentals was my employee training manual when I first got into the business. My boss not only made me read the whole thing (including the bit on topping with explosives!), but he tested me on it too. I had to pass a written exam with a minimum score of 95% to prove that I had read and understood it. Now I like to go back over it every 6 months or so - I always learn something from it every time I pick it up.

Oh, Willie. You don't know how much that pic of the saw strikes me.

Well, you probably do. That's why you posted it.

You cleaned it up nice, thank you. Don't it have a nice burp when you tug on that pull rope and it fires up. Popa, popa, popa. It wants to eat wood. Always has.

Thinking about that now I'll bet I never changed that pull rope since the early 80's.

Brought a tear to my eye. Thanks ya all.

I'm a little buzzed right now. Just got back from the Milano. Got to get dinner ready for Terri. My soul mate.

im trying to keep it nice, it would look good with fresh paint but i cant make myself do that! thank you for the chance to own some history:D

Burnham, that's a great tribute to G.F. I've had the book now for a few years now and it's a great reference manual. It's a little dry, though. Seeing now, though, via Butch's forum, G.F.'s writing is much more personable, accessible and livid. I think there's a much better book yet in Mr. Beranek.

Bounce, you're bullshitting now! I going to tell Sean.

Don't tell Sean Gerry. He get's mean sometimes. ;) It's true though. Haines Tree & Spray here in Bellingham. Walden Haines really has a thing for your book. Good thing too, it probably saved my life! And about a thousand others.... Now that I'm at Wesspur, I tell everybody who calls me to get Fundamentals and the Climber's Companion.

Bounce, I agree. Fundamentals has prepared me for scenarios that can only come from experience. It has saved my bacon, for sure!

Dave

gerry i can only hope that this does not offend you but i read from "fundamentals" everysingle day and sometimes twice aday depending on how much coffee i drank.

your book is the perfect size to leave on the window sill in my bathroom, hence the daily reading. lol

in all seriousness it has lead me to take my profession to the next level. one day i would like to be considered one of the best climbers ever in my area and i would like you to know that your book has helped and is helping me to that goal.

thanks!

I have all of them.Great stories and pictures well done indeed.

It covers an era and a portion of the big timber country that it's likely some of us will never see.Great read.:thumbup:

yup i have that book as well. had them sent at the same time. definitely a great book to leave out for people to look at.

when the time comes for me to actually get out of this area i am heading west to those big dogs. i need to feel what 300+ ft is.

that and getting a chance to run an 090 in some of that big wood would be rather cool. actually be more than cool but i dont want to sound too excited.

that you MB holding that book up? show me the page he autographed for you. lol

An Old Fella

I've been working in the woods thinning plots out, and an old man has been down there every day watching, with his German Shepherd. During the breaks, we got talking. He started out many years ago felling with cross-cuts and axes. The biggest tree he remembered felling (with cross-cut) was about 9feet diameter. he was telling me there was 3 men on each end of a 9'6" crosscut, and they used their belts to pull the saw back and forth as they couldnt use the handles! He told many stories about the old days of horse logging, and reckoned that it was easier back then than it is now!! The reason he gave was "then you could only work to the speed of the horse, or the cross-cut, these days machinery dictates your work speed, far harder"
This old guy is 80odd years old, still weilding a saw every day, throwing cord onto his truck. Hope to get some more yarns out of him next week.

Back