Jerry Beranek's Fundamentals

Burnham

Woods walker
I have just enjoyed reading and studying Jerry's fine book, which I received just before the holidays. Nothing finer than a good book, a warm woodstove, a glass of smooth scotch, and some time off to enjoy them all.

One thing that struck me repeatedly as I worked my way page by page is that when Jerry B. speaks of "small, medium, and large" trees and appropriate methodologies for dealing with each, I have to employ a conversion factor.

Now remember, I work in western Oregon. I am no stranger to big timber. I put saw to some good-sized wood, fat and tall both. But it looks to me like my definition of "large" falls pretty far short of Jerry's :) . Same goes for his "medium"...that equals my "large"...if I'm lucky. A Beranek "small" is still a pretty good sized stem, for most people.

Anyway, a fine piece of work, and one that no tree man or woman should fail to have in their personal library.

Thanks, Jerry.

You bet, on both the book and the tree sizes :lol: .

Indispensable book, I can't say enough about it myself. With all the costs involved in climbing and treework, it'd be foolish to not own this book imo.

Birds of a feather..... Thanks you guys!

The House has been a good place to share. When I was younger I recall it was "show and tell."

You don't see a lot of the quarrles, arguments and quivels in the TH that go on in the other forums. There's a more mature audience here.

Thanks to Butch.

Much appreciate the compliments, Burnam and all. I'm such a lucky human being to see my work and writing come to be respected.

It's a tough and honorable living. God bless.

Last edited:
yup, someone here suggested that as a good investment back when I went to a different arborist site. Surely a good investment indeed.

I just forgot I pm'd Jerry about ordering a set. I forgot all about it.

I am really having a hard time remembering things lately.

'Fundamentals' is a great tutorial, but I must admit I prefer Jerry's 'Tree climbers and timber fallers'. That one has earned the coveted spot on the living room coffee table. I've gotten many positive comments from visitors who take a few minutes to look at it.

After reading through High Climbers, I realized that even our biggest trees around here are only "sucker" size out there. Oh well.8) Fundamentals is one of the permanant books on my nightstand. (which is actually a three story bookshelf, I like to read, a lot) I rotate a lot of different books through the shelves, but that one never leaves. I found out about the newest book and DVDs through the Treehouse, thanks MB, and thanks Jerry for all of your efforts. I look forward to more of your work!

Dave

I think of it as The Bible of Treework. No arborist or faller should be without it. Gerry's sense of scale is a bit different than mine though... that's for certain.

fundamentals is kinda what got me started in tree work. i was logging and ordered it from baily's and was infatuated with what i saw. started doing residential tree work in the off season and one winter went to work for an arborist. thanks jerry

I love the book, I keep it at my desk with all my other tree books and I always read it on my downtime. Makes me want to start actually climbing and working trees again instead of just riding in a truck looking at them every time I read it.:thumbup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
'Fundamentals' is a great tutorial, but I must admit I prefer Jerry's 'Tree climbers and timber fallers'. That one has earned the coveted spot on the living room coffee table. I've gotten many positive comments from visitors who take a few minutes to look at it.

I can't argue, Brian. For sheer impressiveness, including great pictures, not much can compete. It's a fine book that also needs to be in the hands of anyone who appreciates the challenges of working in big timber.

hctf_01_500.gif

treehead.jpg

Big-River-tree.jpg

Back