Jerry Beranek's Fundamentals

Ah, the works will live on longer than me, and I'm not done yet.

Lately I've been trying my hand at writing botanical descriptions. A lingo based in Latin and scientific terminology that I have battled with for over 40 years. Not because I can't understand it, but because most average people can't. My aim is to streamline botanical descriptions into terms the average person can better understand. At the risk of keeping it simple. Ankle high, knee high, waist high, chest high, head high. Rather than precise measurements to the mm or tenth of an inch.

Besides the language of botanical description itself the classifications of plants are another thing, and the more the scientists try to refine the classifications the more blurry it becomes.

For now it's the best we got, but it could sure be better, and I aim to help make it so.

I

Another work and so little time.

Wow that sounds like a huge and interesting and highly useful goal, Jerr.

What an honor to still have rave reviews after 20 years of being in print. In 1978 I made a commitment to myself to write the Fundamentals. 18 years later, 1996, the book debuted at the Tree Care Industry Trade Show in Charlotte North Carolina. 20 year later, 2016, it went out of print. In that 20 years the book has sold nearly 25,000 copies.

The Working Climber Series, btw, is the Fundamentals incarnate. Unfortunately, by today's standards, it's all low definition. Looks terrible on the big screen. Sure wish I would've had 4K video back when I doing all the recording.

Now August Hunike has some of the best 4K video of tree work going. Bar none. All he has to do is put it in a format that parallels the Working Climber Series and he'll be able to retire early very comfortably.

I keep telling you that August! Listen!

Send him an introduction clip, that should help light the fire

Though I haven't been to formal school for this trade I have taught myself many of the Botanical names and much of the language. It's the best way to avoid confusion with localized slang being so popular , "Popple , Moose Maple , Ironwood" to name a few.

I've been a hopeless romantic with plant science since going back to school in 1972. I self counseled and followed the basic plant science courses at Santa Rosa Junior College in Santa Rosa. After which I studied at home and began capturing images of plants when at work in the field. Old Kodachrome slides of plants the likes of you would never dream. Ha, just a different perspective. I must say, digital has revolutionized my scientific photography with plants. It's been wonderful.

Alas, the complete works of Botanica Beraneka will include only genera common to the northern coastal counties of California. A specific geographic region that hosts over 2000 species of native flora. It's been my back yard for near 70 years.

The database is too large for a book. It would have to go on a DVD set, PDF format, loaded on a hard drive and be fully interactive.

You're right, Cory, it's a huge work, and still years away from being finished. It'll be a legacy. Darn toot'in.

It's been a work in progress for some years actually. Mega is the correct. There's over 600 species of grasses in this state. Nearly half of which are not native. My focus is on herbaceous annuals and perennial plants. The further I dwell into it the more I realize I don't know.

It's a labor of love. Like tree work. You can spend a lifetime at it and there's always more to know.

Botanica Beraneka

8)

I want to live to be 100 years old in good health and sound mind. Don't we all?

Heck no. These days, seeing the hordes of folks in their 80s and 90s who are more or less a complete mess, especially mentally with dementia, the key phrase is don't get old. I know of virtually no one who is old and in good shape. Modern medicine has people living long and extremely marginal lives, imo.

True Mick, I love a good time to last as long as possible personally.
I didn't realise it was a song until I just googled it but my friend that got me into tree work used to trot it out in defense of his unhealthy habits.

i'm digging my way through series three of working climber and am laughing all the while

You RULE Jerry!

also, i need a new copy of fundamentals. mine is Beat

Back