Jerry Beranek's Fundamentals

Now, funding for an up-dated revision of Fundamentals really isn't the issue. It's time, storage space and commitment. I'm going to be 70 in a couple years and taking on another publication requires more long term storage and commitment that I'm not so sure I really want to take on right now.

A far better plan would be to sell the rights to the book to someone younger that can take on the commitment.

Such a cool opportunity for the right person!

Bet Doug Dents book was not updated much either Gerry. Your is a timeless treasure. Granted, some new stuff added to it would be cool. Maybe an Addendum chapter ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The difference between Dent's work and Jerry's is just plain readability. You have to get down in the mud and worry at it like a dog on a bone to make sense of much of Doug's book, though the truths are there, nuggets of gold all.

But with Jerry's text, it's so much more clear and understandable. Plus, with Jerry's Fundamentals, the coverage of the topic is much wider...I know from several personal conversations with him that Doug Dent occasionally climbed (with spurs only) when he had need too, but never was even close to the league of climber that we understand our friend Mr. Beranek to be.

The top went nice though. I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that there might only be a few guys to make a six foot diameter topping cut at 160.
This thread reminds me I need to go kicking a door down to get my copy back!

Its not easy managing all the variables in tree work... Any experienced arborist knows how much understanding and experience go into any difficult task we face in the field. Try taking the entirety of all that and putting it into words with just a few pictures to enhance the explanation. If it's not easy to do, it's even harder to explain... Jerry did it before the internet revolution in arboriculture... The language wasn't nearly so developed back then. Writing that book was a tall task an act of true love for the industry.

Charly Pottorff, using my camera, took the pics of the top going over. And you can bet, long after we're all gone, those images will still be passed on.

We can only imagine the feeling you must have had when that top started going, the hinge creaking and popping, the tree getting pushed back, and then the sound as she tore through the canopy to the ground. What a sound and shake that bomb must have made... Hope you still remember it like it was yesterday...

We can only imagine the feeling you must have had when that top started going, the hinge creaking and popping, the tree getting pushed back, and then the sound as she tore through the canopy to the ground. What a sound and shake that bomb must have made... Hope you still remember it like it was yesterday...
.... Ger's story to tell but it didn't go over easy

I never liked school very much after the sixth grade, no longer kickball at recess or something... My mind drifted away from the desire to study. "The Fundamentals" was a great source of inspiration and study for me, paragraphs that I thought that were important I ran a felt pen over, and whole passages memorized. If I had studied all my textbooks with such diligence, who knows, maybe I could have gone to Harvard. :lol:

I know a lot of tree cutters who can't be served by the great book because of not understanding the language. No doubt that many of them would gravitate to it just like I did, if it were possible. I used to bring the book to jobs and show it at lunch, figured that at least by all the photos and sections that they could better appreciate the depth of knowledge that tree work has embodied in it if one is wanting to learn about the subject.

some of those paragraphs are think... got to read em a few times and give it some thought before you get the full meaning... I got more bookmarks in mine than any other book on the shelves... A LOT MORE!

Thank you Jerry for all you done for the industry. I have all four parts of the Working Climber series, and just order your book on Amazon for the cheapest I could find it which was $80.

Back