Ugly log truck load

Must be a widespread operation. I've seen a couple of these types of truck loads in the past few weeks.

They are doin' the same deal up on the upper Skagit River Tributaries. Lots of the creeks and drainages were washed out this last year. The State, FS, Corps of Engineers, and the Tribes are finally gettin' around to stream habitat for Salmon/Steelhead up here.

Gary

If I drop one limb in the creek, or river, I have to go pull it out, or get fined. Around here anyways. Yet, today the fish and game is hiring fallers to drop whole trees in the streams to provide habitat for the fish.

In the early 1980"s the California dept. of fish and game hired people to clean out all the streams and rivers here of log jams. They turned the streams into gravel washes that provided no protection for the spawn. Now they are recreating what they undid. Yet still, to drop one limb into a stream here is a violation.

My take on that is the California Department of Fish and Game set back the fisheries 20 years by cleaning out the natural habitat in the streams.

When I grew up on the coast the best fishing in the creeks and rivers was always in the log jams. Then the state took them out. Thinking they were doing a good thing. Ha!

Bunch of College grads..... School learning and practical learning, but the college grads and politicians never listen to practical thinking.

They spent thousands of dollars doin the same thing on the Green river watershed up here. Everybit they dumped in the river and creeks was wiped clean by our flood last year so they accomplished zilch except spending tax payer money.

State fisheries can get away with anything, Like Cedar said, we spent millions dumping these trees into our streams. Worked real good down stream for making king sized beaver dams at every turn or bridge.

You ought to see the bridge abutments on the lower Skagit!!!

Enough timber in the log jams to prolly build 2,000 homes...

...and that's just from 3 bridges! :O

Gary

Years ago I dumped a HUGE euc. Over 200' tall and over 5 feet at the base into the bay off of this cliff.
Dumped it right near a shipping channel going out to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Damm thing just sunk but I always wondered if it would surface and get tangled into some propeller on a cargo ship....

When I grew up on the coast the best fishing in the creeks and rivers was always in the log jams. Then the state took them out. Thinking they were doing a good thing. Ha!

Bunch of College grads..... School learning and practical learning, but the college grads and politicians never listen to practical thinking.[/QUOTE] now, how can we possibly get on college grads????? They be the smartest around..Their professors told them so...................and they werent meant to go out and get practical knowledge... the books told them evrything they need to know.........

There is some great fishing to be had in the huge log jams on the upper Skagit, and Sauk Rivers here in Washington. I have pulled my fair share of Salmon, Steelhead, Cutts, and Dollies out of 'em.:)

If ony of those baby's ever get dislodged and come downstream in a hurry... it's gonna be a big wreck.:O

Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bump to this thread, kiddos. I've been meaning to go back and edit in the pics for some time...this was one of those that lost all attachments in that unpleasantness a while back.

If you missed it first time around, or want to wander down memory lane, here ya go. Enjoy!

I'm moving back to MI in two months. I'm going to miss the log trucks. All the "log" trucks there are carrying s*** sticks cut to 8's. Looks like a truck full of fence posts. I'll miss the PNW.

Get about 120 miles south.The logs get considerabley larger.;)
These might not be up to PNW standards for old growth but still a right healthy size for the midwest .;) Kinda like Ohio corn fed gals,robust to say the least .

Attachments

• Lumber-002.jpg
    Lumber-002.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Red Oak 099.jpg
    Red Oak 099.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 112
Back