Felling with D. Douglas Dent

I boogie on out of there and I wear a pink chiffon dress while felling. Do you know how many people have been killed felling trees in pink chiffon dresses? ZERO! I am upping my odds of surviving by a huge amount.

Still working my way through this great old thread. This was just a hilarious post. I need to check to see if Old Monkey still comes around this forum, or not.

I haven't gotten to it yet, but thanks to whomever revived this thread just recently.

Tim

:thumbup:

Edit: After I posted my comment, and I was taken to the end of the thread as a result, I see it was Burnham who bumped this thread. So thank you, Burnham.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Willie. Just from reading through a few of his old posts, he seems like a really smart guy.

I wonder what it is about Facebook that draws him in? I'm not on Facebook, myself. I object to the requirement that you have to answer a bunch of personal questions before they'll let you even get a peek at what the site is all about. I guess I basically don't trust the people at the top of the organization when they set things up like that right from the get-go.

Tim

Terms and conditions. You probably relinquished rights to your first born by lying about your birthday. :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A damn good thread, saw a guest checking it out and did the same to remind myself...worth a bump for the new members, I think.

Not so much. Great skill and knowledge is far too often used with an arrogance that can inhibit or close an inquisitive mind. I personally have zero patience with people that wield knowledge as a weapon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, my good friend Stig...in reality I know it won't surprise you at all to hear that Mr. Dent taught many of the same felling techniques that you employ every day, to literally thousands of neophyte and seasoned sawyers alike; the difference is...we learned something of your methods, we just had to do so with 36 inch bars on +85 inch trees :).

Which convinced most of us that having a bar longer than the tree is wide is far easier :).

Leave aside the issue of 3/4 wrap handles and 75% slopes :D.

You would have fit in just fine, Stig...so long as you would be willing to let him be the swinging dick...he had to hold that position, I think :). But the man never let appreciation of skillful work with a saw get in the way of "normal" procedure. Closed mind on many issues, but on differing approaches to solving sawyering problems, his was a radical mind.

Back