Felling with D. Douglas Dent

I've got a signed copy of Mr. Dent's book (that's the way it came used online)
I've got a signed copy of Mr. Beranek's book (that's the way it came used online)
Now all I need is a signed copy by Mr. Bernham of the USFS Tree Climbing Field guide :)

... then put the books aside and get off the couch and go to work!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember that! ;)

I might have another couple of those lying around somewhere, left over from my instructing days...hmmmm. Wonder if that's right? I better look.

Yo Butch, guys! i always and all ways hope y'all doing well!
Never stop thinking about this tree/rope fiber stuff i see the same forces clearly in so many things daily.
Still tree piles around from ms.Irma, we had noPwr 10 days; internet out another 4 or so.
Resurrected a nice redneck clean-up (i know, oxymoron alert) tool should draw out of my self.
Been really wondering about how well our IslandGirl fared tho?

Well, heck, we'd like to know how ALL island girls are doin!
But, specifically have been wondering how miss.Virginia weathered the storm.

That's really great!
i remember when a lot of us gathered before here; we had another hurricane with all kinds of trees down (lot less now).
A buddy had inherited a house that twin massive live oaks floating about 2 o'clock over it
>>trees now almost ripped from ground, but then other trees laying across and under base stem to support and anchor, it was a mess.
Insurance would pay for house, but he didn't want to lose it, but then not much money, offered $300 1 Sunday to drop trees anywhere, try to miss house, real low-income area. Cranes and crews down the road like in a flurry of bidding wars.
i cut down a small junk tree in swing path to open ground.
In short did facing over to down side away from house, then dutch kerf under house side of facing.
066 sporting a 42" didn't quite reach across.
Cut down into close dutch on house side and carried the motion of the tree to flow into the facing, pulled by tapered hinge.
>> working in unison , as a flow in swing concept init by down to empower and push/pull over at same time
Spars were long and heavy at extreme angle to load extremely and Live Oak is mighty fine wood where other woods mite not have done so well
i'd played with this stuff before, not on this scale/at this angle; but had re-proved all to myself again!
i wished everyone was down here with cameras.
i chickened out on drawing any attention, figured if anyone watched i'd certainly crush the house on the 6pm news!
#2 went just as well!
Meanwhile at AS the discussion on my lil'discussion on Tapered Hinge was not going so well;
even tho i acknowledged i was crazy; i still insisted tapered hinge was not!
Dutchman for felling/bucking/climbing was way to much!
gotta run to werk

You needed your own GoPro running! or whatever the fad was then. That would have been cool to see. Good you got it sorted out safely.

Sorry to say I've come up empty...must have passed along all the copies I had, Tommy. If I run across one in future, I'll remember your interest.

Bump!
Well guess what, Tommy...today I found my stash of Doug Dent's Professional Timber Falling, A Procedural Approach.

It was hiding in my old FS briefcase with a bunch of sawyer and climbing instructor stuff I'd tossed in the back of a closet in 2014 :).

I promised you one, back in Oct. of 2017, if I could locate it. Couldn't find it then, but now your patience can be rewarded, if you still are interested. Let me know, and we'll work something out.

Mr "D DouglasDent". What did you guys call him, DDD? D Doug? Dougie Dent?

Anyway, no hard hat in pic 2, post 2. I thought this guy was supposed to be The Man? Who would put up with that if they The Man?

I noticed that too cory. Looked like he started with a hat, and I guess it fell off?

Back