What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 477K
More of a freezing rain this morning here. All rain now. I needed to clean the garage anyhow. Calling for good-n-cold starting Monday. Can't wait. Yippee

70+ broke my first sweat of the year

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

It's been colder this week. Low teens at night, 30ish during the day. Just starting to flurry a bit here. Supposed to get a few inches, then 50's and rain tomorrow.

Fired up the pickup this morning and temperature gauge on console said -37 Celcius (-35 F).
Good thing I had her plugged in or the Cummins wouldn't have fired.

Fired up the pickup this morning and temperature gauge on console said -37 Celcius (-35 F).
Good thing I had her plugged in or the Cummins wouldn't have fired.

If the Cummins wouldn't have fired, then I don't think anything would. I started my '99 Cummins at about -22F once. I ran the heat cycle twice and it started right up and ran smooth without being plugged in. I don't think I have plugged that truck in more than five times since I've owned it. It is nice to have a little heat to start thawing things out when it's cold.

It was glare ice this morning going to work .Friction coefficient of next to zero .That's like 20 MPH if you feel good about it .6 miles took me the best part of half an hour but I didn't run in the ditch so it was a victory .Ohio.if you don't like the weather just wait 24 hours ,it will change.Thank you berry much Lake Erie .

Gerry and Dave, yeah we get used to it up here, the cold that is haha.
The Cummins has been sitting outside for 2 weeks since getting back from holidays. Plugged in the block heaters about 8 hrs prior but the oil pan is down low in the wind so at -35F even its synthetic 5-40 oil is still plenty thick.
I have started it at -30 once not plugged in but never again. Engines way to expensive to replace .

It had finally turned winter here. It hung out at-30F for a few days. Yesterday it warmed up and is now +5 . Coldest we had at the house was -36 maybe-38 . Central Canada is making us look like wimps this winter.

Starting diesels that haven't been plugged in is an easy way to get rid of thousands of dollars. .We pay 37¢ a kilowatt. My 1 ton Ford pulled 1800 watts when plugged in and that was cheap compared to a new engine.
One thing some may not know is transmissions are affected by the cold also. Its important to put them in neutral so at least the converter is spinning. Get some of the fluid flowing anyway. I have a 100 watt pad on the pan on the Ford's tyranny also.

Do you preheat the fuel at all? Do you use certain additives? My personal truck despises the cold weather when it gets under 0 F here, and it pretty much tells me to go eff myself every time. I try to threaten my truck by telling it I will sell it if it keeps it up, but it always knows I'm bluffing.

I put a 12 oz bottle of Power Service White in with every fill up. . As long as your using #1 it burns good. #2 turns into a solid at 40 below. I have a trickle charger on my batteries. Frost plug 600 watt heaters on each side of the block. 200 watt pad on the oil pan. And a pad I put on the steering column to heat the key switch up. The OEM grease in the key switch solidifies at 30 below or colder. . Once it starts it stays running until I'm all done with the day and back home. At 40 below and colder I cover the hole cab with a big tarp and put the ready heater under it in a big wood box to keep it running. . Just getting that truck started at 45 under costs about 20$ all told.

Fred, the thing you need to do to get your truck to work better is to start looking for new trucks, drive it to a dealer even if you're just bluffing it, drive the truck to the dealer! It's like an employee. Ha.

Jim, it is an 08 Duramax. It has more fuel related issues in the cold than any of the work trucks or equipment. It drives me nuts.

Sorry to hear that.

I have an 01 Duramax. It was a bit of a learning curve when I first got it. I was used to the old mechanical injected diesels with the large micron filters they use. I used Stanadyne fuel treatment all the time in my old Ford and it never let me down.

For whatever reason my Duramax will not run with Stanadyne, even though the filter is next to the exhaust manifold. I can only think that the filter is so much tighter that the Stanadyne was too thick.

I run PowerService in the white bottle now in that pickup and dont have any more problems.

Holy shit!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W9fI5M6_XVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back