What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 468K
You can tell it is hot here when the news starts reporting people that went swimming in rivers are missing. I prefer to just lay down and pant like a dog between 2 and 3PM.

WE have been cool and rainy all summer. We may reach 80 next week, but I wouldn't bet on it. We haven't had much summer yet.

No, MB. The majority of people in the area don't....I guess more a mindset than anything really practical about it. In this particular area near the mountains, it has always been that if you endure for a couple hours mid day with a fan, it would always cool off to pleasantly comfortable. It's getting hotter now, time to start thinking. Other parts of the country, air conditioning is essential to survive.

I grew up in Cali, so I didn't realize that being near the coast is where the humidity gets high. Maybe California is pretty unique in that regard, with the dry winds balancing things out. It certainly is that way over here, one reason why you don't find summer homes along the coast. With the price of land there if I was in a position, I'd still go for it loving the ocean. Is it humid along the eastern part of the states on the coast?

Big time. I worked up closer to butch a few days last week, and the humidity was lower as it was a couple or degrees cooler but it felt like night and day just to get two hours further from the coast.

When I was delivering tree work flyers around vacation homes, lots of places don't get used much, and high humidity in the woods. I could sometimes smell the mold coming from inside while putting the paper in the mailbox next to the front door. I wouldn't imagine it very habitable inside. On the other hand, a couple fans that bring in air from the outside on timers, work wonders, maybe two hours running per day. I think there is a service that will come in and open windows for some hours, if people are willing to pay. Most aren't, then they don't want to come because of it. The mold gets into the bedding...everything. Something called Black mold is supposed to be dangerous.

Maybe suggest that your dad try the fan timer method, if it is cheaper than ac running all the time? My friend has a big old place, I think three fans, one on each end of the house and one in the hall. I go over there sometimes to check on things because he isn't in the area most of the time, and hear them whizzing away The fans are in small ducts from outside. Small energy efficient fans, and it works very well.

24C and 66% humidity here today, dang near perfect for a snooze in a hammock.

Attachments

• 100_5632.jpg
    100_5632.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 18
Nah, state park campground, kid trail at best :) Its from our outing last weekend to Rasar park just to the south of us in WA state.

They have big turds, Butch, quite a voluminous surface area. No offense. It's amazing to see sometimes, have to ask yourself, now what size could have produced that? :\:

I bet 99.9 % of bear encounters are benign. I have seen them up close and at a distance, no probs. I have watched my pops in law take pot shots at a mother bear when she had 2 cubs up in his plum tree, he was maybe 10 feet away with a fairly strong pellet gun (mine), she barely blinked, I however watched from indoors :) I carry a can or more of pepper spray for bears and if the situation should occur it would be my last line of defense. Many of the bears that we have here are accustomed to human kind and will keep their distance for the most part.

This guy didn't have time to grab his bear spray!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/noIJyY2KxRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hm. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow while walking down the road. At least with wild animal encounters I have a fighting chance by making noise on the trail, carrying pepper spray, using my pack as a shield and being aware of my surroundings. :)

Nice to see you back Paul.:)

Been blowing a gale here for a week on and off, but it's that time of year.

Cold, :coldcold: but it's changing direction now so it's up higher and not so bad.

Can't really believe I used to go camping and fishing this time of year down south where it is really cold and windy. Was fun sometimes.

Ah, you heard about that, MB. Never used to get them, but now they are showing up for some reason. About three and a half hours south. Currently heading into typhoon season.

Back