The official "Welcome New Members" thread!

Hello. My name is Jim Conrad from Montana. I am just getting started as a sawyer for the MT DNRC fire program, and have very little experience as there are no trees where I live! I was very impressed with the knowledge base of the members of this forum and how courteous everyone is. I am eager to learn and while I am not a arborist or a logger I believe that I can learn a great deal from the members here.
Thanks for the opportunity.

Welcome Jim, my name is Randy.
The Tree House is a great place to learn, the people here are friendly and very helpful.
Look forward to hearing/learning more about you. :D

Thanks guys! I took the qualifier a few months ago, after fire season quieted down some so have not had a chance to test myself yet. It sounds kind of corny but after the class I kind of said to my self "where have you been all my life?", I really like this work!
Butch, I was looking for real world experience on the saw I just bought and stumbled across this site, (I was not referred by anyone) and found myself browsing the forum. I was very pleased by what I found in regards to the vast real world knowledge and the manner in which the members conduct themselves.

Of course, fire work is a little different but the opportunity to learn from professionals is one that should not be passed up.

You nailed it man. The Treehouse is the place to be if you want to learn and share about treework. All aspects, real world, getting it done info!

Welcome!

If I lost a few pounds, I'd look like an anorexic fashion model, and from what I hear, they suck at logging!

You have to try it to see if you really do want to Randy.
Then if you want to, low and slow to progress up to higher heights and longer limbs.
It is amazing how I feel when I am a loft. Especially in canopy ... feels like the mothers womb or arms around me. Don't much care for height, but respect it.
Different from when I was a kid. I was climbing about anything I could free climb :lol:

Welcome, Jim.

Randy, a great way to lose some pounds IS climbing. There are good ergonomic/ strong leg powered systems that don't require you to drag your weight around the tree with your arms. Look at Jack, he's doing work climbing at 70, and loving it.

I'm 5' 10" and 217 when I got on the scale this morning(I've put on about 10lbs since Thanksgiving:thumbdown:).
I guarantee if you climb more than once a week you will lose at least a little weight. Of course over eating before
and after the Thanksgiving "season" will completely cancel out any climbing..... :|:

FireFighterZero, welcome. Consider looking through threads in the Archive, the tree falling/rigging forum is a great resource.

Back