The official "Welcome New Members" thread!

I joined the treehouse a few weeks ago and have posted some and met a few of you already. That being said, my name is Chris. I've been climbing full time for just over 3 years and currently climb/run a crew for one of the big tree companies. Grew up in Maine but moved down to Maryland about 5 years ago.

Welcome, Chris. I ran a crew for Davey for a couple years about 20 years ago. It was good experience, but not so good pay. I don't regret it though.

Hello,

I joined The Treehouse a week or so ago after seeing August Hunicke speak highly of it but I am just now seeing this thread for new members.

I have been falling, limbing, bucking, and splitting trees (~30" DBH max) for 15 years or so on a small woodlot and for friends... no climbing.
I was spared several times after doing stupid and ignorant dangerous things (e.g. cutting through the hinge).

Eventually I began to pay attention to and understand what they were talking about in the Stihl owner's manuals, etc. about techniques and safety.

About 4 years ago got into chainsaw milling and was inspired by Will Malloff and his book.

Before I quit my city job about a year ago I knew I wanted to go into firewood sales to supplement SS.
Was inspired by a one man operation on Youtube -- Tim H. Gruchow -- who has a tree removal and firewood business in Minnesota.
Also by another "older" gentleman, an engineer, on Youtube...self taught climbing... Terry Hale

From Will Malloff's book I leaned about Douglas Dent's book and the BC "Fallers' and Buckers' Handbook" and have studied them
Then I heard about Jeff Jepson and eventually acquired and studied all 3 of his books.

After being inspired to think about taking up climbing for simple tree removals, I bought Peter "Treeman" Jenkins's "Tree Climbing Basics"

At some point I heard about Jerry Beranek as highly recommended, and got his book -- but it was "old" (pre-2000) ... and like an idiot, I discounted it and ignored it for a while.

Then recently I saw August Hunicke's interview with Mr. Beranek, and having seen lots of August Hunicke's videos and respecting his judgement I started reading "The Fundamentals of General Treework" and it is amazing the organized, 360 degree "brain dump" of years of experience that Mr. Beranek put into this book.
I recently bought the full "Working Climber" DVD set and have begun watching them.
Also, have ordered the "Art & Science of Practical Rigging" DVD and book and it should be here soon.

I am planning on teaching myself to climb for simple tree removals (and pruning my own trees)... and to begin on trees on my own small woodlot.

Equipment: chainsaws, rope, and accompanying paraphernalia, and a 1995 Dodge 2500 (which is in the shop).

I am insured and have my first year memberships in the TCIA and ISA

I have other responsibilities which might prohibit or restrict my ability to be a dependable part-time worker for an existing tree company.
So for learning and training -- I am pretty much dependent on my own experience, books, Youtube, etc. ---- and now -- THIS valuable resource.... all the helpful folks here at "The Treehouse"

I am married with two grown sons.
I know that in the best of circumstances, God willing, I only have a few years left to physically be able to do this (but thanks be to God, I am currently in pretty good health for a 63 year old guy, but age eventually gets us all).

As a wannabee big-time timber faller and climber (e.g. August Hunicke, Reg Coates, -- on Youtube), in one sense I wish I had gotten into this a long time ago.... but a long time ago I would have probably been too scared.

Now, at 63, however it seems the intersection of age, ability, desire, etc. are all coming together at a MUCH lower level than most of you other guys work at :) ... but, I think, doable for me -- and maybe I'll have a few years of it part-time.

Looking to make a small living in the tree removal and firewood business.

Thanks for all the help y'all have given me so far!

Best Wishes,

Robert Wood.

Welcome Robert.

I can see getting inspired by Will Malloff's fine book. I spoke with him on the phone once, he's an interesting character.

Wow, big respect for taking up tree climbing at 63, Robert. Glad you could join us.

Thanks Brian. Ha, I haven't actually do any climbing yet... Just studying up on it. I really wanted to take a class, but might just jump in and try to figure it out myself "low and slow" ... as soon as I get the nerve to spend the $1000 (?) on basic climbing gear.

Welcome Robert.

I can see getting inspired by Will Malloff's fine book. I spoke with him on the phone once, he's an interesting character.

Thanks woodworkingboy. Wow. That is easy to believe that Will Malloff is an interesting character based on his book. He seems quite an inventor and innovator.
He reminds me some of Jerry Beranek in his depth and breadth of detailed knowledge, his love of his work, and his desire and ability of teaching.

Robert, my advice is to NOT start climbing trees at 63 unless it just rec climbing.

Thanks for your experienced advice, MasterBlaster.
May I digest it thoroughly and cause me to proceed with that much more caution!
I have a few trees on my own lot I was going to start with and start with just a regular saw... not a chainsaw.
There is a (Ash?) tree just north of my kitchen window that half of it branches off and goes over my roof and needs cutting.
I know its late, but I figure I may have 2 or 3 years left, all things being equal.

Robert, my advice is to NOT start climbing trees at 63 unless it just rec climbing.

MasterBlaster, I just saw your advice/warning yesterday, about NOT starting (working) climbing at 63.

The weight of your words has been sinking in since then and I am taking them more seriously than I did when I first read them.

Sir, I have a question, please.... and I ask it with the utmost sincerity as one who wants to learn and who respects those who know more and have seen more than I have in this whole enterprise.

My question is this: Why should a 63 year old not start climbing (i.e. climbing for work) ?

Is it more than just the natural effects of age doing a strenuous activity or is it something more? e.g. it takes a young mind and body to completely absorb the fundamentals required to be safe... which after they are acquired (at a younger age)... they will not be forgotten when he is older.
Whereas a 63 year old beginning is likely not capable of successfully absorbing the fundamentals (i.e. so they become second-nature) because of ... well, just the natural effects of aging on the mind, body, memory, etc.

I really appreciate your kind concern and would really appreciate if you have the time to expand on your advise/working.

Thanks!!!

IMHO fatigue and the drive to get the job done and thus taking a risk greatly increases the chances for injury. Just one of a few issues, but one that sticks in my mind while working.

It's not a mind thing - it's a body thing. More than likely you WILL be injured at some point and the older you are the longer it takes to get over it.

I stopped climbing at 58. I thought I would last a few more years, but I didn't. My body was just too worn out despite being in pretty good shape.

Climb it you want to - I just don't recomend it.

Back