How'd it go today?

Good job, Andy. Finished my 1st job this morning and the owner came home for lunch and said he wanted to put in a pool and about 15 more trees had to go! he is talking to the pool people next week.

I wonder if the bees get confused by the day-glo orange and don't pollinate properly? Who knew? McDonalds is confusing all the bees!:lol:

Had to buy a new set of chassis batteries for the motor home .A gent is looking at it to buy . Went to the Stihl dealers for a 200T flippy oil cap ,7 bucks I couldn't believe it .Finished rolling the yard after I got the roller out of the mud .Call it a day .

Today went well I guess. Two small climbing take downs, and some mics pruning stuff. Tomorrow I guess we are doing a crane job, dead Tulip and he plans on me just using the crane as the tie in and bombing stuff into the woods then lifting it out.

I planted three trees at the house after work, then went to Ashly's for dinner. Proceeded to fall asleep on her parents floor for three hours, felt like shit when I woke up at 10:30

Also been a little nervous. The dude that I've been working with on my days just inherited a landscape business, so not sure what's going to happen as far as his availability anymore. We kill work together, but he's not the best at calling back, so I've been wondering what the hell to do about some jobs I had taken before he knew about the landscape business. It's hard doing big climbing take downs by yourself :|:

That's the beauty of this Stephen, the heaviest I have to do it moving a ladder around, any more than that and I am guaranteed a grunt or a crew! Full benies, 401K the whole thing, he said "What do you have to lose? I'll throw some money at you and if it doesn't work for you, we part as friends?"
Right now about anything to get off this damn couch and get out of the house sounds good to me, then to get paid on top of it, hell that's just a double bonus!

:thumbup:
Seriously excellent Andy!
I am really happy for you. :)

That sure sounds like a good deal Andy, I hope it works out well for you.8)

I finally got a job with some access, fairly big tree and I could back right up to it.

Well, I could last week before it started raining. Back to the usual dragging. Took us most of yesterday to get it down and some of it chipped. Nearly finished today, still got a log to cut up and the stump to grind.

The danger level won't change with another person but the job will be easier. Sorry boss, just sayin'

So, you're saying working alone only makes things less easier, and doesn't affect the overall safety situation of a job? So, let's say the climber injures themselves drastically, another person being on the job has no affect on the situation? Being alone = having a Safety Person OTJ with you? No diff whatsoever other than things being "easier?"

I'll never believe that. Working alone will happen, but it's never as safe as if you had someone with you.

true. All I was saying is that shit happens whether or not someone else is there. Does not make things any less dangerous, except your exception where you need a second set of hands to put a band aid on.:P

I do things alone within reason.

I spoke with Dave last night, he's just trying to get everything sorted with the landscape crap then it's business as usual. We're doing that dead elm thursday together.

Good for you Andy!
Good day came home to 338 in a box with some 335 parts also:D Yet to realy peek/ inspect but headed after supper to clean up and see. Also scored a brand new steel core flipline with Pretzl Micro-accender in the sealed sherill's bag for forty. And read some good posts to catch up.

Slayed about 6 stems today next to a house and propane tank. At one point I was swinging back and forth between three of them. Poor Rob did everything he could to keep up.. Some had to be lowered and some I could just bomb. Couple of really nice oak logs I have to call the HO about and see if he wants to mill them. So water laden that water was seeping up out of the stump. Maybe about 1.5 - 2 days more work over there. Tops all broke out. See how the pics came out and if I will post them.

Spent yesterday and today with a group of FS C cutters, old and new, and D. Douglas Dent in an effort to get myself recertified :). Today in the field was pleasant, just a half dozen sawyers to fell for Dent's pleasure, nice sized timber and the weather was decent. I'll put up some pics tomorrow in the felling forum.

Burnham, did you find out if D. Dent is actually the one who signed up here a few months ago using that name? I was looking forward to getting to know him a little bit through the forum.

You know, Brian...that flat slipped my mind! What a dummy I am. I don't think I'll get a chance to talk to him the rest of the week, either...darn.

I had a beer or two and am reading about the exploits of my fellow tree men so in short my day has picked up a little. In the sense all is not lost just short vacation due to downed equipment.

actually for a headache, straight water would likely be better than a diuretic like alcohol. But to each their own, I arent no MD :)

Had two little swallowed up stubs in a hinge like High Backcut Burnham Style but without the difficulties.

Cut about 17 dead and dying trees today with Duane, the foreman. Laminated Root Disease DF.

Squashed a picnic table and grill in the closed Day Use area when I missed a field goal felling lane for a close to 40" by 100+' DF. Tree swung over about 5 degrees. Didn't hit the picnic shelter, or cream any significant trees, so not too bad. The parks staff moved the tables behind a grove of little cedars after we'd walked the site, indicated falling lanes, and requested the tables be moved (need a tractor to lift, recycled plastic and steel tables). Facecut was on, but the tree had some headlean and took off before I could get the second back cut in up to the same hinge thickness, after cutting the first side of the hinge 8" wide, up to the desired hinge thickness, to compensate for the bar being about 4" too short after shaving the bark. I should have cut the second side 8" wide, then done the center strip, giving an symmetrical hinge, if not even all the way across. Too bad. The table could have been saved, but it wasn't time to move the table after the face was cut, and the tables were spotted behind the grove of small trees.

Back