How'd it go today?

:) hmm. I did also recieve instruction on the requirements of WCB for sawyers...:shifty:

something about the spark arrestor SHALL be in place and stuff about a whistle and bloodstopper must be on your person when operating a chainsaw... and some talk of chaps and other PPE. :)

Good thing I didnt tell the instructor that my MS260 doesnt have its spark arrestor anymore, I took that out day1 ! :D

Frig the spark arrestor, was never checked ever. We got checked out lots in the bush and the saws they never looked over besides being in one piece and having a chain brake on them.

The other things you mention are sop for me though.

I must confess, I use a screen always and only add glasses if it's sunny out, but then usually the screen won't come down much if that's the case.8)

I dont really work in high fire issue areas so I dont feel so guilty about the spark arrestor. The whistle and bloodstopper I had on my climbing saddle but never really figured it was a big deal for ground ops, apparently it is. My shades are PPE so I am good to go if its sunny, the shield and such are on when appropriate.

Dang it, we are dead in the water. Both of our chippers are down. Roller bearings went on one Monday and today, same thing different chipper. UGH.

I worked with a company that had an 1800, and it was nice. I got turned off when I heard you have to take apart the feed wheels to lube em'. The feed wheels got jammed easy too.

Lousy day today. Had a lot of good days in a row lately and I knew a bad one was comin eventually. Fired the new kid that started with me on monday. He doesnt know how to work. Give him a rake and he plays with it. Tell him to carry rounds, and he fiddles with sucker twigs still attached to them. Hve him drag brush, he grabs 2 2" diameter branches and takes a slow cruise to the chipper. I was easy the 1st day, had several talks with him yesterday, begged and yelled today, and made the choice to let him go after the tools were unloaded. He just didnt get it. I had high hopes but he is just too far out in space and has no attention span. I dont want to see him hurt or dead and so my gut told me to end the situation before i regret it.
Otherwise, I raked soil and threw hay and seed all day. Big job on a lot that butts up to a lake and the ground is just pure mush. The skid steer really did a number on it yesterday.

Yesterday I worked for HLTREE from Treebuzz.....

He had me come in for the day and climb a few trees, just mainly taking off some bottom branches, and 3 removals we set a line in and dropped.

Today I climbed for my old boss again, took down an Ash over some wires and a shed, and another big ol' White Pine. Everything from the Ash got roped, everything in the WP got tossed. I need a break, going from doing nothing all week to non stop since Saturday. Winter kills.

HLTREE, is that Matt? He used to be kind of weird, hopefully he's matured a bit in the last few years.

And yes, Spring has sprung. I worked one day last week and this week is booked solid. I've made more in the last 3 days than I made in the previous 2 weeks. Gotta git while the gittin's good because there are financial black clouds looming on the horizon.

I flew the Hi Ranger' topping a dying live oak. I like it when I don't even get my pants dirty!

I met with the acupuncturist today. He said since I had such an odd problem I would pay only for the first treatment, but he would give me three. If it didn't work after the third time I wouldn't have to pay for the other two. Evidently three treatments is the magic number for getting cured. Hell, he coulda told me that on the phone last week, tha wingnut! So I'll go back next wed and get the needle!

Got back into the woods today. We've got a few trees we're going to take down at work, a few big white pines to make some wide plank flooring, and three sycamores so I can quarter saw them. Q-sawn sycamore is some of the most amazing wood I've ever sawn.

Dumped the biggest of the sycamores this afternoon. 42" the narrow way by 46" the wide way. I got four ten foot logs out of it, about 1,400 board feet. I finally got to try out the saw I fixed up in something of any real size, and it ran great.:D Used Jerry's diagram of swing, roll, and tilt axis to execute a good humboldt face. It doesn't look like it, but the level cut is at ground level. I did botch the back cut, I came in only a little above the level cut, but it went where I wanted it to.:/: I might have to rip the butt log into quarters to get it onto the mill. I've done logs that big on the Wood-Mizer, but it's a pain in the butt.

Attachments

• sycamore1.jpg
    sycamore1.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 9
  • sycamore2.jpg
    sycamore2.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 9
  • sycamore3.jpg
    sycamore3.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 9
I feel you Dave! Big wood kicks my butt also!! I can do the 14-25" trees all day, over that and I can get it on the ground, just lots of clean up!! It is certainly a "learned" skill set, that I have yet to learn:lol:

I cleaned up the "side yard" per the letter I got from the city.:? Haued off a few things, built a fence (that seems to make everything alright around here:?) to hide it and went to Lowes to get some fittings for an air tank. I have a wheelbarrow gas powered aircompressor but it lacks volume. While there, Sportsmans Wharehouse was having a going out of buisness sale. I got a decent deal on a Kershaw knife that I have kinda needed for a while.

I did ok, other than the low back cut, at least it wasn't a couple inches under the hinge.:lol: You can't see in the pic, but there is a steep drop off in front of the face, which was a frost slick covered with leaves.:roll: I can really see the value of a full-wrap handle, it was a pain getting the saw into the undercut on the far side. Would have been in the way on the back cut, however. Catch 22. I've got a few more big trees to get down, and they are on steeper ground than this, will be interesting. I can say that reading Jerry's book and watching his videos has really changed how I approach a tree. There are a couple of pines that want to lay down the hill, but they are going to break up bad for sure. I wouldn't have given that any thought before. Thanks Jerry.

Nice to see that big dog cutting some wood, Dave. I used my 395 today to drop and cut up a fat oak trunk.

There was wire fencing in the trunk near the base so I made my notch about chest high. Got it on the ground then made the stump cut from the back side working towards the wire. I cut through a metal fence post and trashed the chain but it was within 2" of finishing the cut and I just plowed it through.

Back