How'd it go today?

We did two small jobs that beat out most of my big jobs. I have enough work to keep busy for two more weeks. The phone has stopped ringing in the run up to tax day. I've also had a couple cancelations. I love the roller coaster ride. Not.

I'm here. Had my usual Tuesday/Thursday morning class today, came home, finished assembling the new grill for my uncle. Then took ma to the doctor, went grocery shopping, came home and fixed dinner. Afterwards, I started working on the truck again. I'm starting to understand: Fix Or Repair Daily. I'll be glad when I get this got-dang electrical gremlin chased down. I've narrowed it down to a short in the switch or somewhere in the steering column and another in the dash(dash lighting is screwy as well). Only a few more months until I can get a solid daily driver.

started a 4500 doller job today the guys pruned this tulip poplar and i made a mess of this blue spruce and left :)

they werent that big of trunks but ive never pruned one with 5 leaders. very nice easy climb, the guys did alright, if they keep up todays pace well have a good year!

We did a job scheduled for 3 1/2 days in 2 days. Taking down 13 cottonwoods and grinding 5 stumps. It was at Tulloch Lake, in the second picture for you hunters is a wild turkey. The turkey picture was taken along the road into the place and the deer picture was taken at the job site. I was grinding the second to last stump and my stump grinder went over the edge dragging the pickup with it. We hooked the tractor up to it and pulled everything out and nothing was broken. The driveway out of the place was so steep that I couldn't pull my dump trailer up the hill with the pickup and had to pull that with the tractor also. Even in 4wd low it spun the tires on asphalt. The last one is the dam, well I guess you figured that out.

California in springtime. You've got to love it! I like jobs like that where you aren't in an urban or suburban setting. We used to do a lot of jobs for California State Parks. It was always fun. Did you guys barbecue for lunch?

No, the first day I bought some sandwiches for everyone at the little store in Knights Ferry and the second day I picked up sandwiches again (both days on the way back from the dump) at the Chevron station in Oakdale. I've always been a little leery of the grill thing at work because I'm afraid lunch will start to be a 2 hour production. The drive into the place from highway 108 is beautiful. Below the dam is a forebay type lake and from it 2 canals take the water one on the north side of the canyon and one on the south both built on pretty sheer rock faces. Then the canal on the north goes through a tunnel into the mountain, very cool.

Spent all morning in a big cypress hedge bringing it down to the height of the 2nd story of customer's house. Climbing that monstrosity made me want to do bad things. Then had to prune a thick cedar which always sucks because its impossible to get a good tie in from the ground and they're always a bitch to ascend. Then proceeded to get my friction saver stuck after I thought I was done for the day. Had to climb said tree for the 2nd time :X :X :X

I like that Dirty Harry Pic.

Nice and to the point.

So Today I cut a Camphor tree in half.
The utility already took an ice cream scoop, so the homeowner thought best
to have it topped all the way. Classic "It's getting to tall".

I didn't take pictures.

Then he wanted me to fine tune the other half that had been topped by the utility.
I didn't have the room in the truck nor the patience to continue being there,
were I had hammered the heck outta this tree. So I left.

Hope he likes it and hope I get paid.

:)

Doing a few private jobs while we wait for this year's line clearance contract to come out. Had to re-shape a few spruce with the hedge trimmers out of the bucket. Passed it off on the new guy which is how things should be. He passed it back after a half hour stating that I do alot nicer job and admitting he "wasn't enjoying it." He's gonna have to eventually learn that all jobs are not "enjoyable". That's why we get paid to be there. He was right about me doing a better job. (Pats self on back).

went well today though its raining all morning. had breakfast with old monkey! we had a great visit, hardly a scratch on his new chipper! 3 tree housers scratched off the list now!

Awright Willie! Did you pull out your keys and put a scratch on Darin's chipper for him? The first one is always the toughest, then it doesn't matter so much any more. :P

I was working on a big estate property today. The property was foreclosed over 2 years ago and has sat empty. A neighbor finally bought it for $1.4 million and is fixing it up. The house will need to be completely gutted since the roofers tore off the old roof and left the job 2 years ago. I took down 5 oak trees and at least 8 pines. The crew I was subbing for didn't even have a working chainsaw and my bucket sprung a hydraulic leak after the first two trees. So I spent the day setting lines, flopping trees and then dicing them up on the ground. Cutting the stuff up was way more work than anything else. I'm whipped.

The crew I was subbing for didn't even have a working chainsaw and my bucket sprung a hydraulic leak after the first two trees. .
There are two types of hydraulic systems,those that leak and those that will at some time in the future.It's not a question of if but rather when.

ya'll must already hold this status but I am now officially the neighborhood hero. Took down a co-dominant doug fir that had one side split off and got hung up for a neighbor today. It was under major pressure but I bucked er down from about eight feet up using a power polesaw and then straight fell the rest of the stem into the adjoining neighbors property without even setting a wedge. They all said it couldn't be done :lol: . Took me all of ten minutes.

Good stuff Justin! I love it when somebody appreciates my skills.

The cold front causing problems all up and down the East coast created some gusty winds and rain here today. I just got back from cleaning up a blown down tree in a doctor's office parking lot. I try not to work on Sundays but it was an emergency job and paid well. :)

Back