How'd it go today?

I will also mention that it doubles as my crane rig as well. Float in on the ball, rig, descend, cut, wash, rinse, repeat.

Now two days ago, I could have used about 30 more feet of line in that kit for the oaks I was pruning off roofs. I could bail on SRT, but not Ddrt. if I needed to. But I just had the crane pick me back up and place me on the next limb. Wash rinse repeat until I was back on the main stem. They were sizable oaks. I could have used up 150' of line descending from the tops. Valley Oaks.

I can’t stand prep time. I want to get to work! Getting the lift and getting it ready, gassed up, stabilizers down, harness on, tools in the bucket, saws gassed and oiled drives me nuts. Reminds me I need to start keeping a rope in it in case I need to get down from the piece of junk. But now that I think about it, I don’t even know to descend a rope. 😆
Learn to rappel brother, it may save your life. An HMS biner and a munter hitch on a rope can make all the difference!

I don't mind taking it easy, if the pay is the same, though I get tired and sluggish if we slow down too much. I worked for a guy who'd take like an hour and a half to get in the tree. I'm not sure how they manage to be that slow, but otherwise he was pretty good.
I’m a very quick starter, sometimes too quick.
I’m thinking about how we’ll line the trucks up on the way so we’re on it from the get go.
The 8.30 to 10.30 (when we have a tea break) is the most important period.
Get a good start and the rest of the day falls into place.

I’m lucky if I remember to drink, much less eat til I’m done, and then I’m trashed. Dumb brute.

Random but it reminds me how do y’all manage using a restroom on a tree job at someone’s house? I hate to ask, hate to go in someone’s house all dirty, usually can’t pee in the yard somewhere but if one drinks enough to stay hydrated, one has to pee.

but if one drinks enough to stay hydrated, one has to pee.
[citation needed]

Not like I'm out every day, but I do pretty well by limiting coffee to a couple big cups, then water the rest of the day. My body shuts down systems when it's inconvenient to use them. Totally exposed? I usually don't have to pee. Lots of good woods and bushes? Pee as usual. For the most part, there's usually /some/ option available around here if you're willing to walk. It's pretty lush, at least in warm weather. Probably better options than in the desert.

I’m lucky if I remember to drink, much less eat til I’m done, and then I’m trashed. Dumb brute.

Random but it reminds me how do y’all manage using a restroom on a tree job at someone’s house? I hate to ask, hate to go in someone’s house all dirty, usually can’t pee in the yard somewhere but if one drinks enough to stay hydrated, one has to pee.
I drink regularly, but often not quite enough to have to go on the job. I go in the chips in the back of the chip truck if I have to, or often enough I dump a load of wood at the company lot in the middle of a job and go then.

Using clients toilets is an absolute no-no.
There’s always somewhere for a surreptitious piss.
And what about taking a massive dump?

I rarely have to poop at work but have no problem climbing into the chip truck and shitting in a doggy bag if the need arises.

One of my guys somewhat often needs to shit at work but he usually manages to hold it till after. When he can't hold it, he or I ask the custy to use the bathroom (if they haven't already offered it up upon our arrival at job) and he uses a jail flush (named after where he learned it) to limit the stench.

Last week we were working at the nice place of a wealthy customer, he had to dump so I called Mrs. Custy from up in the bucket and asked if he could come in through Mr Custy's man cave (it's a very sweet home gym off the garage) and use the bathroom, she said 'absolutely' so he goes in there and a minute later he tells us on his walkie talkie (very quietly cuz yes he's inside the house; you could hear the faint echo inside the bathroom): "Yo- I feel like I'm shitting in a palace."

:lol: :\::dude:

And what about taking a massive dump?

I rarely have to poop at work but have no problem climbing into the chip truck and shitting in a doggy bag if the need arises.

One of my guys somewhat often needs to shit at work but he usually manages to hold it till after. When he can't hold it, he or I ask the custy to use the bathroom (if they haven't already offered it up upon our arrival at job) and he uses a jail flush (named after where he learned it) to limit the stench.

Last week we were working at the nice place of a wealthy customer, he had to dump so I called Mrs. Custy from up in the bucket and asked if he could come in through Mr Custy's man cave (it's a very sweet home gym off the garage) and use the bathroom, she said 'absolutely' so he goes in there and a minute later he tells us on his walkie talkie (very quietly cuz yes he's inside the house; you could hear the faint echo inside the bathroom): "Yo- I feel like I'm shitting in a palace."

:lol: :\::dude:
Go before work, or get in the pickup, drive into the country and shit in the woods. An afternoon walking around in discomfort with a badly wiped arse after a woodland shit will improve his morning routine.

I use bushes or trees for cover when feasible. Some homeowners are cool and I don’t care if they know. Others, I sneak it in. Having a 4 door truck cab helps as you can surround yourself with the truck and go in one of your empty 16.9oz water bottles. Never had to poop on site (yet). I haven’t peed while in a tree yet either but I’m sure that will happen at some point.

If i gotta take a dump or they don't understand things I'm going somewhere, it's only an issue in populated areas where there's places to go.

Wife wanted some little trees and clumps pulled out in one of the back yard flower bed/scrap metal laydown area :lol: It's pretty soft here today so i didn't want to get the truck or anything there, so i pulled them with a chainfall on the log arch. Some were really in there and more than the 1 ton fall wanted to do, so i had to do the lever trick, worked like a charm.

20240504_130059.jpg 20240504_131003.jpg

Um, speaking of on site dumps...one time I was doing an appt, custy wasn't home so I took a quick look at the trees in question but then I really had to go super bad and they had minimal woods in the backyard but enough (barely) to get it done so I took care o bidness there and then went on my way.

Afterward I was thinking, wow, basically what I did was the same as pulling over at a random address in suburbia and taking a dump in the back yard and then bolting . :O :|:

Back