How'd it go today?

Read Pratchett to understand the difference between 10 and 100 dollar boots..."The Sam Vimes Theory of Boots and the Universe"

I felt the other boot split this morning. It's as bad off as the first now. I'll be buying the 50 dollar boots, since the 500 dollar ones will be a bit I'm coming regardless...

You are a Pratched fan, wonderful!
Sure didn't expect that.

I did the math on my custom Wesco boots, which with shipping and all are more than 500 bucks.
As long as they kast with a half price rebuild, they end up being cheaper than euro logging boots.

Read Pratchett to understand the difference between 10 and 100 dollar boots
If that's a reference to my $10 boots, it isn't accurate, cause my $10 are actually $150 boots, with perhaps $20 deducted for depreciation in the case of the used ones. That's why I hoard boots. I get 14 pair for the price of a single pair ordered on the normal market.

If that's a reference to my $10 boots, it isn't accurate, cause my $10 are actually $150 boots, with perhaps $20 deducted for depreciation in the case of the used ones. That's why I hoard boots. I get 14 pair for the price of a single pair ordered on the normal market.
Not so much. Since I know you're not going to read several satirical novels to understand my joke, I'll ruin it by explaining.

The Sam Vimes Theory of Boots and the Universe...

A rich man buys $100 boots. They are comfortable, they are well made, they last a long time, they dont leak.

A poor man buys $10 boots. They are worn through in a month, they always sucked, and his feet have never been dry.

At the end of the year, the poor man has spent $120 dollars on boots, and he needs a new pair. The rich man has still not replaced his, and he's likely to get some considerable time out of his boots yet.

Sam Vimes is a recurrent character in Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Vimes is the quintessential cop, a bit of everything from Perry Mason to Dirty Harry Callahan.

Yes @stig, I'm a huge Discworld junkie, I'm pretty certian I've read every one of them. I think my favorite character from the universe would have to be Death, or his granddaughter, Susan. The idea of her having "inherited" grandpa's "powers" is hilarious. Even funnier that she's a teacher...

I haven't read the books, but I did understand the reference. I didn't think your analogy was so explicit. I guess it was just coincidence that my average price of $10 hit exactly on the book reference :^)

New $10 or $50 boots are trash. Seen it over and over again here at the shop. Never spent less than $100 on new boots. Caterpillars used to last a year. $50 or $10 for used or NOS/discontinued/overstock $150-$200 boots is good economy. Never had a pair of chipps fall apart. When I first started wearing them I wore them 365 at work, tree work, offroading, hiking. I use my feet as much as my hands for moving/kicking/digging. Wore the soles out and or they got to where they weren't presentable for management to wear to work. Got some resoled for grungy work, got some used...have enough pairs now I won't need any for a long time.

You want unsplit cowhide, not split. Welt construction of course.

My parents wore combat boots for outside work my entire childhood and probably still have them.

Back