How'd it go today?

I have a couple spools myself, but I can't remember the sizes. My goal was to cover all my saws with two spools. The smallest saws have been verified to work. Dunno about the big saws yet. It's pretty good line.

I need a saw that I can leave at the mill for occasional use, and the only real candidate was my old Husky 66, which has never let me down. I had a nearly new 20" bar, and found a decent chain. Ten pulls and it fired up. After at least ten years under the bench. It doesn't have the snap off idle it had when I got it, used, 28 years ago. Might need to tune it for the first time.

The old 66 ran very well today. I'm glad I brought it out of retirement. I'd like to find the proper plastic handled brake housing for it. I was given an old metal loop handle when I broke the original, which isn't as nice. It may not have great anti-vibe, and it might not have the greatest power to weight ratio, but it's back to starting in two, or less,:D pulls cold, and cutting very strongly.

Based on an image search, it looks like metal was the most common brake. Maybe you could mod that to make it more comfortable.

I have a bit of a battery cable obsession, which, as obsessions go, isn't the worst thing. I feel that there should only be one style of battery, the 31S, just in five different sizes. ATV, lawn and garden, automotive, truck, and large earthmover.:lol:

I have been converting everything I own to 31S, which is the stud type large truck style. I'm done with post and clamp type connections. Studs also give you a good place to add jumper cable wires, which I am also adding to most of my sawmill equipment via Anderson connectors. The alarming part is the cost of good wire.

I got some new shrink tubing in the mail today, which is a new product for me. It's a 3:1 shrink ratio, adhesive lined tubing. 4' each of red and black was like $9. You can see the finished product on the end of the cable I started making tonight. Pretty cool, if you are obsessed like me. :/:
I need to find a bigger box to keep all my parts in. I gathered everything together this evening, and there is quite the pile of stuff, at least more than I realized anyway.

20240506_204427.jpg

Awkward step out of the log pile to set the saw on the tailgate, over extended and the saw went lean and chain started to run at the saw time IMG_6761.jpeg

Palm is weird

IMG_6759.jpeg

Made mostly firewood while trying to fulfill an offer I made to @pigwot for mesquite bowl blanks a while back. Not as good at freehand milling as those guys in the jungle and square ground wanders a lot.

IMG_6762.jpeg IMG_6756.jpeg

Back