How'd it go today?

Squish, the frown wasn't for you. When I built my truck, 500 was unusual, now you can plug and play a 625 chip in a Cummins in a couple of minutes. There are diesel dragsters in the 6's now.

Cool, just one of the wonders of communicating over the internet.8)

I posted that nissan just to show something that still somewhat resembles a car, I'm sure if you're into it you know what the fastest dragsters are. They aren't burning diesel or gas. ;)

:D
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ND1AddoF5Vc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ND1AddoF5Vc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

AND THE CHIPPER WORKS!!! I had the guys at the CAT dealership look at the chipper, and they spent about 4-5 hours going through the whole electrical system. Apparently, they found several wires that served no purpose, two grounds that weren't necessary, and a couple wires with bad connectors. They also said that my starter is pulling way more amps than necessary, and that I should keep an eye on it.

I ran it this morning, and it runs better than ever. ...even with the Ol' derailer cable! :lol:

My throttle cable broke the other day, and No Bivy gave me a derailer gear cable off his Ol' Lady's spare bike. It works just fine for now. I have to run over and get a new cable this afternoon, but I'm actually thinking about just getting a new derailer cable. I mean... it's flexible wire vs. a stiff solid wire that can get metal fatigue. I kind of like it.

The fastest dragsters burn kerosene, but they are restricted to I think 330. It's been a long time since I was into it, but the jets had way more potential then nitro, and almost zero maintenance. Oh, you do have to pressure wash the soot out of the exhaust once in a while.

OK, so all is not quite right, but it's getting closer!

The chipper still dies but in a different way. ...wonderful right. :|:

When the guys at CAT worked on it though, they removed a ground wire from the alternator that they thought was unnecessary, and I think they is where things went wrong. The thing runs great, better than before, on all levels, but it decides to quit suddenly still. ...more so when the drum is engaged than if I'm just running the winch with the drum not engaged... BUT!... It starts right back up and'll go for another little bit before doing the same thing.

Sooo.... I have a feeling that the "extra" ground may be to deal with power surges that come from the machine back into the engine. I'm going to go back tomorrow and see if they'll put back on the ground to the alternator. Hopefully, they still have the wire.

Yup, sure does. Murphy switches don't seem to last long on a chipper, too much vibration.

Worked on the trucks all day.. Think I lost a cylinder in the dodge :( Played with it a bit and then started getting the Ford 1 ton back in order. Kids had a great day playing with my tools as I was in the engine bays..:roll:

...really... ...murphy switch...? Well, it would make sense. It's about the only thing I haven't replaced. :banghead:

I'll check and see how much they cost tomorrow. If it's not too much, maybe I'll throw a new one on before I go putting humpty dumpty back together. :|:

I'm surprised it isn't the FIRST thing ya replaced.

Easy enough to bypass it and be done, or at least confirm it.

I'm surprised it isn't the FIRST thing ya replaced.

Me too, it was one of the first things I thought of. ...but I guess that's how the cookie crumbles... There were definitely other things wrong though, and I think this run-around has helped me work out some of those other bugs.

My Murphy switch went before 100hrs. Random shut off during chipping, I almost shat myself the first time it happened. Called JD and they sent a new one, perfecto. You could see condensation building up on the inside.

It's amazing a shop wouldn't diagnose that first.

"Murphy Switch"...is that a magnetic switch? Seems like a shot of WD40 every now and then helps to keep switches clear of condensation. Was told that it aids in the contacts conducting as well.

All I know is that it's usually a low oil pressure shutoff switch. There may also be other interlock switches that may be called Murphy switches. On most chippers it's the button that you have to press as you turn the key to start the machine.

Back