How'd it go today?

Steve, that looks like Prentice loader work. Good luck with the bid, that looks like it could be a good 2 weeks worth of work (guestimating 20 trees per day). :thumbup:

There are similar set-ups like that here in Michigan for apple orchards, and a couple of things come to mind :
When orchards rip out trees they typically pile them up somewhere on the property, which takes up space. Dumping chips right on the property would save a lot of time & hassle, and would be usable as compost in a lot shorter time period and the space would be usable again. Building a berm of chips right at the site of the removals would alleviate the need for hauling altogether.
A local apple orchard pushed over hundreds of over-mature trees that didn't produce enough fruit and planted newer varieties in an adjacent field. It didn't make sense to me that they were willing to have the land left unusable, but that's the way they've always done it.

Steve, that looks like Prentice loader work. Good luck with the bid, that looks like it could be a good 3-4 weeks worth of work (guestimating 10 trees per day). :thumbup:

Wow your sure good at pricing from a picture ,your wasted climbing and doing bucket truck work, with such a keen eye you need to start an on line estimating service...:lol: :lol:

Steve, that looks like tons of debris for sure. up here on farmed fields for trees we have issues of the roadways for tractorss etc becoming mud bogs most of the year so we would chip and dump that debris on the roadways to disperse it. If they dont have a place to compost them or use them I think the idea of the tractor trailer is best, chip into it and send the chips to a horse farm or something for stall bedding or in ring fluff instead of them having to buy hogfuel etc?

Hmm,doesn't California have some of those multi fueled boilers at power plants?If that be the case,you could likely sell the chips because there is going to be a lot of them.

The reason I brought this up is due to the fact that my uncle got some type of monitary compensation for chips from a large fence he had installed,maybe 25 years ago.They chips were hauled to a large paper mill and used for fuel.

Wow your sure good at pricing from a picture ,your wasted climbing and doing bucket truck work, with such a keen eye you need to start an on line estimating service...:lol: :lol:

the original post did tell us there was 235 tree's.

I went fly fishing for the first time yesterday just across the border into Oregon in the Owyhee Mountains. It was fun. I didn't care if I caught a single fish and true to my expectation, I didn't.

Today I added organic compost to my raised vegetable beds a spread the rest over mine and my neighbors lawns. Last summer we took the fence down between our yards to replace it and the kids and the animals enjoyed having one big backyard. This winter the replacement fence was built and our yards were separated. We get along so well with our neighbors that we all agreed to take down one section of fence and at least partially join our yards again. Tonight that meant all of us eating pizza on our picnic table with our cat and their dog playing chase. I love being able to be outside in the evening again.

I was just woken up 20 minutes ago by the phone ringing (at 7:30 on a Sunday morning!). :X It was a buddy's daughter & son-in-law wanting to hire me.

These same people called me a year ago for the same job, hired me and scheduled a day. I had showed up on the scheduled day and nobody was home. I had waited for an hour and left a note as well as a message on their phone, they never returned my call. Now a year later they want to do it again? I told her I didn't appreciate being woken up on a Sunday morning and I didn't have time to do her trees. She would have to find somebody else.

I hate fuggin stupid people. :X

There is a generating plant at an old lumber mill in Chinese Camp CA but the haul from the jobsite is kind of far. Grover Landscape operates a composting project about two miles from the job site, also a Davis-Pacific company operates some kind of a recycling facility at the same site. I dump there when I am in the area as they are cheaper than Grover. I don't know what they do with the chips they have an old vermeer tub grinder and they grind mostly old pallets and wood waste from housing projects. There is also a Gerald Liondakis Orchard Removal that operates in the area, they have the big loaders, tub grinders, and semi trucks and are also equipped to remove the stumps and grind them with their tub grinder. 235 is too many stumps to grind. They haul their chips to the generating facility at Chinese Camp. I'm thinking the most efficient way to do the job would for me to get the trees on the ground and for the orchard removal guy to do the rest. It's not that the customer doesn't have plenty of money but if he figures it isn't cost effective to remove the wind break he will just leave it there.

I was just woken up 20 minutes ago by the phone ringing (at 7:30 on a Sunday morning!). :X It was a buddy's daughter & son-in-law wanting to hire me.

These same people called me a year ago for the same job, hired me and scheduled a day. I had showed up on the scheduled day and nobody was home. I had waited for an hour and left a note as well as a message on their phone, they never returned my call. Now a year later they want to do it again? I told her I didn't appreciate being woken up on a Sunday morning and I didn't have time to do her trees. She would have to find somebody else.

I hate fuggin stupid people. :X

What's worse is when it's a real pig of a job and the client is such a good friend of a friend they have been told by your mate you'll do it for next to nothing :X

...if he figures it isn't cost effective to remove the wind break he will just leave it there.
Hack 'em in half & leave the chips at the base(s) ? Grinding the stumps doesn't really make a lotta sense >>> it seems too close to the irrigation ditch to be usable as orchard, no ?

Have you ever busted ass for 11 or 12 hours of work and then just to torture yourself do the math and figure out how small of a sum your taking home? Its been a hard week. Most of the jobs were bid in a slower time and the margin has been slim. I need to get another few days of lean jobs done and then I am on to better money jobs. Right now I am booked until April 17th and giving out one or two estimates a day. The jobs I get now might be done with a chipper when it gets here. The thought excites me but then I think I'll have to add more work to fill the days. I need to train another climber this summer, to help me busify that chipper.

Back