How'd it go today?

I left my two guys alone at a job until 3:30 in the PM. I was helping my parents move. They did very well in my absence. I scored a 42" TV for my efforts. It was too large for their new place.

Good day today, the guy I sub for had me lined up to climb these two trees . When I got there I said no freaking way I'm climbing those and then I poceeded to just fell 'em:D So here's a couple pics, you guys can make fun of my first stump I know it's a little sad but alls well that ends well. I made my notch a little shallower on the second stump so that I would have plenty of room to get a wedge started just in case ;) . This has been my lakefront week this week third house and area of Okanagan lake I've been on this week and I'd guess that atleast half of these houses/mansions are empty only used as a summer retreat. These houses around here start at a mil and go up from there. Oh yah the couple of kids in the one pic are the guy that I sub for's kid and his buddy, spring break and all.

More big albizia work for me today, but I forgot the camera unfortunately. Dropped some big laterals and chunks and then took out a 80ft, 32" dia top from about 40 ft up. Yeehaw! On impact one 10'x8" branch popped straight back up flipping through the air towards me. It got about thirty feet of altitude before turning around for its second trip to the ground. All this in the pouring rain. It was good fun!

Took down a Sycamore today. Not too tall, not much brush, but a pretty big trunk and stump. It was for a buddy of mine and he let me use his forklift to load the wood.

damn, I wish we had your weather.... its been raining kittens and puppies here for months...

It was pretty perfect today I'll have to admit. We got some rain a couple of days ago and yesterday the wind blew like a motha, but today everything was good.

How exactly did that go, there? I'm assuming that you dropped those big trunk sections onto a bed of chips? Is that your bucket truck as well, and if so how come ya didn't just chip into it? I know, I know lots of questions.:D

The bucket truck was full of chips, is that lame or what? After I pulled the tree over the truck was trapped in there as the road leading out was flooded from some irrigation that was going on in a spinach field. I had to get the tree out before I could move the truck anywhere. I had some chips and some smaller stuff in the trailer before I dropped that big piece in there. My floor is not heavy enough to handle dropping that big piece in there. Some beautiful wood.

You gonna mill that nugget?

No I'm not set up for that, but when I went in to the recycling place with the last load one of the workers there had them set aside and was taking them home. He doesn't do big stuff but he makes bowls and such.

More big albizia work for me today, but I forgot the camera unfortunately. Dropped some big laterals and chunks and then took out a 80ft, 32" dia top from about 40 ft up. Yeehaw! On impact one 10'x8" branch popped straight back up flipping through the air towards me. It got about thirty feet of altitude before turning around for its second trip to the ground. All this in the pouring rain. It was good fun!

Probably better for you that you forgot the camera, pouring rain and all...but, too bad for us! I woulda loved to see the video of that top dropping and the Leon-seeking branch...a 30 foot bounce up is pretty impressive...were you looking for a place to hide?:O

Fun, fun, fun, I met BOSTONTREEGEEK today! He stopped by on his way out of the keys. John was here so they got to talk a little also. It is always fun to put a face with a name.

Cool! Is John enjoying "wrenching" with the new opener? :P

I've been around car shopping and picking up ammo for tomorrow. I'm doing "hands on" research for my history paper. :/:

History Paper Title is: "World-Changing Weaponry"

Basically I am writing about the key points of the following: Colt 1911, Browning M2, The M14 and M16 rifles, Winchester Model 1866 Rifle, Winchester Model 1887 Shotgun, and AK47

Good day today saved a chestnut tree from a brutal topping that the owner was interested in doing and have lined up my first cabling job for next week. I don't think that the tree would fail but it was the only way that the customer would consider not having his tree cut in half so I pruned it today and will install a cable next week. I'll make every effort possible to get some pics. Now just gotta brush up on my cabling knowledge.:D

Use a come-along to pull the leads together to give you enough slack to rig the cable, then release the come-along. The cable should not have much tension on it when it's finished, just enough to keep it from sagging.
:thumbup:

Probably better for you that you forgot the camera, pouring rain and all...but, too bad for us! I woulda loved to see the video of that top dropping and the Leon-seeking branch...a 30 foot bounce up is pretty impressive...were you looking for a place to hide?:O

It was impressive. I've never seen a branch pop back up with that much force before. I was so surprised that I almost forgot to start scooting around to the other side of the stem. Fortunately it fell short because I'm not sure I would have made it around in time.

I was asked by an old high school buddy to give him a price to remove an old windbreak for a cherry orchard. The cherries were removed and replaced by almonds several years ago and the windbreak is no longer needed. As you can see in the pictures the outside row of almond trees next to the windbreak is substantially smaller than the next row in. The trees are of course poplar trees and vary in size from the largest being a 3 codominant trunk with each trunk about 12" dbh, and the smallest tree being a 6" single trunk. The kicker is that there are 235 of them. There is a disposal site about 2 miles away. I will investigate about weather the guy there or maybe some other guys might bring their grinder on-site. This job is a little out of the range of the orchard removal companies because they aren't equipped to fall trees. To remove trees they normally have a big loader which instead of a bucket in the front has a couple of curved prongs that resemble elephant tusks, and they stick those in the dirt under the tree and kind of pry it out of the ground roots and all. Although the trees don't need to be precisionly felled they will need some directional control to keep them from smashing the little almond trees to the south or falling into an irrigation canal to the north. If I were to haul the wood to the disposal site in my dump trailer I'm estimating it would take 250 loads plus. I have some more details to add but I have to do a bid now.

Find a tractor-trailor container to chip into, probably hold alot of em', fewer trips. Folks have some with a "walking floor" so they can dump em. Good luck, bid high, or with some "cover your ass" contingencies.

Back